Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Help, newbie to ROMs and Rooting

This is a discussion on Help, newbie to ROMs and Rooting within the Motorola Atrix Roms forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Development category; Hey folks I ended up hijacking my own thread in another section but got the nerve up to give the ol one click method a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Help, newbie to ROMs and Rooting

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Help, newbie to ROMs and Rooting

Hey folks

I ended up hijacking my own thread in another section but got the nerve up to give the ol one click method a try.

After a min and few reboots, I got the message my Atrix was rooted...

My questions: How do I check that is? Isn't there a "superuser" setting somewhere?

Next question. Now that I am all brave and such...I saw this message "WARNING: DO NOT FLASH SBF After Installing Official 2.3.4 build 4.5.91!!"

I checked my phone and sure enough I am running 2.3.4 and 4.5.91. What does that SBF mean?

Lastly, to flash a rom. I need the following (right? )
    A way to back up, then a boot unlocker.

Is that right?

LAST question, the apps and such I have bought on the non rooted phone...if I flash a rom, where do they go?

LAST LAST question, if my memory card doesn't have much memory left on it, do I need to use a different card to do my back up/restore from?

Again, sorry for the newb questions, I managed to read myself in to a little panic.

Thanks

RR

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2018 times
    RR, you definitely need to unlock your bootloader before going any further. On the Atrix, rooting is only one part of the equation which leads to being able to install a custom rom. Do not attempt to do anything until you read this - [TUT]Unlocking Bootloader and Installing Custom ROMs - and follow the instruction to the letter.

-Mike
    ManDroid likes this.
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock

GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.0.1 Rom

Member #
    Liked
    154 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rollingrock View Post
    Hey folks

I ended up hijacking my own thread in another section but got the nerve up to give the ol one click method a try.

After a min and few reboots, I got the message my Atrix was rooted...

My questions: How do I check that is? Isn't there a "superuser" setting somewhere?

Next question. Now that I am all brave and such...I saw this message "WARNING: DO NOT FLASH SBF After Installing Official 2.3.4 build 4.5.91!!"

I checked my phone and sure enough I am running 2.3.4 and 4.5.91. What does that SBF mean?

Lastly, to flash a rom. I need the following (right? )
    A way to back up, then a boot unlocker.

Is that right?

LAST question, the apps and such I have bought on the non rooted phone...if I flash a rom, where do they go?

LAST LAST question, if my memory card doesn't have much memory left on it, do I need to use a different card to do my back up/restore from?

Again, sorry for the newb questions, I managed to read myself in to a little panic.

Thanks

RR
    You can download Superuser in the Market.
    Then download Titanium Backup, and run it. It will tell you if you have root. It's also the most popular backup app, but you'll need to purchase the Pro version.
    The warning about flashing an SBF is basically telling you, never try to go back to the previous stock ROM.
    If you backup your apps you can restore them easily.
    If your memory card is full, you can also use the internal storage, unless that's full too.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    well, hell, you guys are talking me out of this. I am a little confused. Mandroid, are you saying that once I flash a Rom, I can never go back to the stock version?

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Once you unlock your bootloader it burns a fuse in your phone physically. So you lose any warranty. But you can always flash back to a stock rom but trust me you will not want too. I know it's kind of intimidating as I was extremely cautious but once you start and get the process down you will become a junkie like the majority. I can probably flash a new rom and have everything back to working order in 10-15 mins. There's a way you can unlock the bootloader really easily I just need to find the link. Good luck and let me know if you need any more help.

Member #
    Liked
    154 times
    No, you can never go back to any stock version prior to Gingerbread (2.3.4 build 4.5.91) Gingerbread yes, FroYo, no.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2018 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rollingrock View Post
    well, hell, you guys are talking me out of this. I am a little confused. Mandroid, are you saying that once I flash a Rom, I can never go back to the stock version?
    I think the underlying issue is that you need to read the material and understand what it id you're setting out to do to your phone. The Atrix has a locked and encrypted bootloade - and a oerfect program for unlocking it. It's a hassle to use but once you're done, your bootloader is unlocked forever. The unlock command that you sends trips a switch and burns a fuse inside the phone, and there;s no way to undo that, It also totally voids your warranty and makes it very easy for almost any tech to spot the unlocked bootloaders burnt fuse with a cursory examination. You need to understand what's the implications of modding your phone and accept that the warranty goes bye-bye when you unlock the bootloader.

Just some things you need to understand and come to terms with before you start down the road of modding.

-Mike
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock

GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.0.1 Rom

Member #
    Liked
    57 times
    like steve said, you will probably not want to go back to stock. lets say ICS never makes it to the Atrix via OTA. how else will you get to experience some of its features unless some dev ports it on the device? the only way to get it is by flashing said ROM. Just sayin ;D

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by UltraDroid View Post
    I think the underlying issue is that you need to read the material and understand what it id you're setting out to do to your phone. The Atrix has a locked and encrypted bootloade - and a oerfect program for unlocking it. It's a hassle to use but once you're done, your bootloader is unlocked forever. The unlock command that you sends trips a switch and burns a fuse inside the phone, and there;s no way to undo that, It also totally voids your warranty and makes it very easy for almost any tech to spot the unlocked bootloaders burnt fuse with a cursory examination. You need to understand what's the implications of modding your phone and accept that the warranty goes bye-bye when you unlock the bootloader.

Just some things you need to understand and come to terms with before you start down the road of modding.

-Mike
    Mike, yup, that pretty much sealed the deal for me. My phone is my phone but it is also my "corporate" work phone as well. If I don't flash Roms, is there any fun i can do with it being rooted?

I did buy the Titanium Back Up Pro for good measure...I have it sync'd to my dropbox which is pretty darn cool...but when I hit sync it was pretty fast so I supsect I have really backed up anything yet. The backup/restore brings up a host of apps, I am poking around to see what I need to do to make a back up.

Thanks again Mike and others for the quick responses tonight. BTW, my superuser, was already installed..found it.

RR....AKA Jason

EDIT, figured out how to back up...user manuals are a good thing.
    Last edited by rollingrock; 11-30-2011 at 10:50 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    57 times
    well now that you have Titanium Backup you can freeze some apps that you dont really use or need. Be careful though if you freeze the wrong things, things can be hectic. I believe theres a freeze list on xda which tells you which apps are safe to do so.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads