Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Clarification - CM7 and Motorola

This is a discussion on Clarification - CM7 and Motorola within the Motorola Atrix Roms forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Development category; Ok, so everywhere I read, everyone recommends using TB Pro. I use MyBackup Pro, but I bit the bullet and and bought TB Pro anyway. ...

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    231 times

Clarification - CM7 and Motorola

Ok, so everywhere I read, everyone recommends using TB Pro. I use MyBackup Pro, but I bit the bullet and and bought TB Pro anyway. I am kind of happy that I did. It gives me a lot more information, and lets me sync to DB. OMG I love that.

Here is my issue: I think CM7 by default saves Apps and App Data to the external SD card. Is this correct?

When I look in the Overview in TB Pro, I see 4 storage sections:

System ROM: (self explanatory)
    Internal: 2.11GB (1.70GB free)
    Internal eMMC: 11.4GB (10.3 GB free)
    SD card: 32GB (26.2 GB free)

However, I loaded MIUI last night, and for the life of me I could not find the external SDcard. I didn't care for the UI that came default with MIUI, but other than that it was SUPER smooth, which I was really impressed with. I searched and searched though and could not find my external SD card. It was blowing my mind.

I know moto does their stuff differently in terms of naming what is internal storage and external storage from other phone manufacturer's. Can someone give me some insight in to which is what in terms of how CM labels storage versus other ROMs.

Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    420 times
    Quote Originally Posted by grenefroggie View Post
    I know moto does their stuff differently in terms of naming what is internal storage and external storage from other phone manufacturer's. Can someone give me some insight in to which is what in terms of how CM labels storage versus other ROMs.
    Sure. Motorola's naming conventions are:

Internal - /mnt/sdcard
    External - /mnt/sdcard-ext

CM7 uses what I've been told are standard naming conventions:

Internal - /mnt/emmc
    External - /mnt/sdcard

The nice thing about CM7 is that it has an option to switch the names around, i.e. internal is /mnt/sdcard and external is /mnt/emmc. This is the first thing I did when I installed RedPill-CM7, as I was previously using the Blur-based RedPill and had all my app data stored on the internal card (/mnt/sdcard). This kept everything the same for me. The CM7 setting is Use Internal Storage under Settings->CyanogenMod Settings->Application.

You do have another options, though. Titanium Backup has the ability to not only change the storage location, it can also do a search for your backups. If MIUI has the ability to use both internal and external cards (I don't know, I've never used it), using this option in TiBU will allow you to find your backups and use them again. Your other option would be to mount the phone under Windows, let it assign drive letters to the two cards, and move the Titanium Backup folder from the external card to the internal one, then do what I said above (search for directory in TiBU).
    Martin's Android devices:
    - Samsung Galaxy S3 with Quantum (CM 10.2 by PwnCakes193)
    - Asus Transformer TF101 with No-Name (CM 10.2 by josteink)
    - Motorola Atrix 4G with CM 7.2

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    231 times
    Thanks MJ!! You more or less confirmed what I was thinking. MIUI was stressing me out a little. I could not for the life of me find my SDcard. So I gave up until I have time to handle it. I just flashed DRP-CM7-RC1 and I have to now restore all of my backups. I don't know why I had trouble with it before, but it works now. We shall see where this leads us!

Remove Ads

Ads