Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Torn between two ROMs

This is a discussion on Torn between two ROMs within the Motorola Atrix Roms forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Development category; Hi guys. Was wondering if I could get some help. You see, I'm just about to unlock my Atrix's bootloader (been dying to do this ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Torn between two ROMs

Member #
    Twitter
    ayonkayabet
    Liked
    3 times

Torn between two ROMs

Hi guys. Was wondering if I could get some help. You see, I'm just about to unlock my Atrix's bootloader (been dying to do this for a loooong time) and I'm kind of stuck between Neutrino ROM and NottachTrix ROM. I know they're both great ROMs and they have their own advantages, but I want better battery life and I want to preserve the stock Blur contacts widget since I use it as kind of a "speed dial" thing.

I like Neutrino because of the stripped down, raw performance, and battery it gives, but I'm kind of itching to go for NottachTrix just because of the contacts widget.. Is there a widget in the Market/Play Store that is similar to the stock contacts widget that I could substitute for the one I'm using? Any help and/or thoughts? I'm completely new at this, so any nudge would greatly be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    AT&T Atrix 4G - rooted/BL Unlocked - NottachTrix ROM

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    231 times
    You have some options.

Neutrino is awesome because it is slim. However, just like anything slim, it is missing some things that some people need or like. For example, with all CM7 based ROMs, you have to install Google Apps with a seperate Zip file. This ROM is CM7 based (on nightlies) if I am not mistaken. I also have to throw in the Theme Chooser addon and the Sync addon. There are some others in there as well you can add, I just don't need them, as I likely have replace them with another app from the market.

I have not had a chance to use NottachTrix, but I plan to load it on tonight and go for a test drive. I did load his DarkSide ROM for all of three hours before I went back to CM7, so I didn't get much use out of it, however, it was a Blur ROM.

Happy hunting. I will be able to give you a better idea of which ROM I like more once I have my test drive going.

Member #
    Twitter
    ayonkayabet
    Liked
    3 times
    Sounds good. Hope your NottachTrix test goes well. I'm aware of the addons needed for Neutrino, and I'm kind of leaning toward that one, so I'm looking for contact widgets on the market right now, lol. Still, I'd appreciate your NottachTrix test results, since it's still on the table for me. Thanks sir grenefroggie.

Member #
    Liked
    154 times
    Quote Originally Posted by abetsi View Post
    Hi guys. Was wondering if I could get some help. You see, I'm just about to unlock my Atrix's bootloader (been dying to do this for a loooong time) and I'm kind of stuck between Neutrino ROM and NottachTrix ROM. I know they're both great ROMs and they have their own advantages, but I want better battery life and I want to preserve the stock Blur contacts widget since I use it as kind of a "speed dial" thing.

I like Neutrino because of the stripped down, raw performance, and battery it gives, but I'm kind of itching to go for NottachTrix just because of the contacts widget.. Is there a widget in the Market/Play Store that is similar to the stock contacts widget that I could substitute for the one I'm using? Any help and/or thoughts? I'm completely new at this, so any nudge would greatly be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    There are plenty of contacts widgets in the Market. Just do a search for contacts widget..... the hard part is finding the one you like.

Member #
    Twitter
    ayonkayabet
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ManDroid View Post
    There are plenty of contacts widgets in the Market. Just do a search for contacts widget..... the hard part is finding the one you like.
    Yeah, I'm kind of stuck on that process. I wonder though.. is it possible to extract the stock Blur contact widget and flash/install it to a ROM? or does it work like a regular apk that I can just install normally?

Member #
    Twitter
    ryan_ponticelli
    Liked
    1 times
    Try Android Pro Widget has themes that will match upward spiral themes for cm7 and it does what you seem to be looking.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    420 times
    Quote Originally Posted by abetsi View Post
    Yeah, I'm kind of stuck on that process. I wonder though.. is it possible to extract the stock Blur contact widget and flash/install it to a ROM? or does it work like a regular apk that I can just install normally?
    Extracting and installing it isn't a problem. Getting it to work, however, is another story. Basically, you can't use an app that requires Blur on a CM7 ROM. As was stated by ManDroid, you'll have to find a functional equivalent in the Market (I refuse to call it the "Play Store"; of all the incredibly stupid business decisions ever made, destroying their brand recognition by renaming "Android Market" to "Google Play Store" has to rank right up near the top).
    Martin's Android devices:
    - Samsung Galaxy S3 with Quantum (CM 10.2 by PwnCakes193)
    - Asus Transformer TF101 with No-Name (CM 10.2 by josteink)
    - Motorola Atrix 4G with CM 7.2

Member #
    Twitter
    ayonkayabet
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rponticelli View Post
    Try Android Pro Widget has themes that will match upward spiral themes for cm7 and it does what you seem to be looking.
    Quote Originally Posted by rponticelli View Post

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Took it out for a spin. It works. I would use it but I'm kind of looking for a 4x1 widget with an option to include four people on it or a 1x1 widget for individual contacts. Android Pro Widgets only has.. 4x3 and 4x3 which is kind of too big for my current setup. I'll definitely look back into it when I change my homescreen setup though. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by MJPollard View Post
    Extracting and installing it isn't a problem. Getting it to work, however, is another story. Basically, you can't use an app that requires Blur on a CM7 ROM. As was stated by ManDroid, you'll have to find a functional equivalent in the Market (I refuse to call it the "Play Store"; of all the incredibly stupid business decisions ever made, destroying their brand recognition by renaming "Android Market" to "Google Play Store" has to rank right up near the top).

Oh. I get the gist. I didn't think about the Blur requirement part. Yeah, thanks for clearing that out for me. Back to the widget search for me, lol. About the Market/Play Store thing. I'm on the same boat as you. I really prefer Market than Play Store. I'm just calling it the latter 'cause that's what they're doing, but it will always be Market at heart.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm really new at this, and it's nice to know that there's people willing to help others out. Peace.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    646 times
    Just two ROMs you are worried about? If say try them both and them some. I must have flashed more than ten on mine.

Sent from my MB860 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk
    Welcome to Android
    Atrix 4G Running CM9
    GNex Running JellyBelly JB 4.2 Custom
    Iconia A500 Running CM10
    Galaxy S3 Stock

Please feel free to PM me if you need any help, I'll get back to you as soon as I can..

Member #
    Twitter
    ayonkayabet
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RobKort View Post
    Just two ROMs you are worried about? If say try them both and them some. I must have flashed more than ten on mine.

Sent from my MB860 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk
    Yep. I tried to flash Neutrino, but it was bootlooping for some reason, so I tried NottachTrix. Taking it for a spin right now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads