Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Killed my original atrix, now a little more timid about modding

This is a discussion on Killed my original atrix, now a little more timid about modding within the Motorola Atrix Roms forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Development category; I bought my Atrix in early March of last year. Within the past week or two I started having problems with wifi/bluetooth. Eventually it got ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Killed my original atrix, now a little more timid about modding

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Unhappy Killed my original atrix, now a little more timid about modding

I bought my Atrix in early March of last year. Within the past week or two I started having problems with wifi/bluetooth. Eventually it got to the point where the wifi radio would not turn on. About 10 seconds after trying to enable it the status would list "error" often followed by a full crash/reboot. Long story short I tried everything to fix it, no luck. Last night as a final effort, I flashed the 4.5.141 sbf which eliminated the "unlocked" message on the boot screen and returned the phone to stock. The wifi/BT error was still there and now the phone would randomly reboot as often as every few minutes. This was the nail in the coffin, I needed a new phone. I am not eligible for an upgrade and I already have $$$ invested in car dock, desktop dock and laptop dock, so another Atrix 4G was the only option at this point.

Got my new one today and now find that I am not as sure that I want to go unlocking BL, throwing on roms left and right, loading overclocked kernels etc. In the past I have done Gingerblur, CM7 and most recently was using Nottach Trix. The problems came around shortly after I installed Nottach's Rom and the Faux 1.3 kernel (never had OC'd before). Is it just a coincidence or did the higher clock speed create more heat to kill the wifi/BT radio? This concern is what has me hesitating. On the flip side I am not sure I am ready for a fully OEM experience...the versatility is what originally drew me to android. I am hoping that the friendly folks here can help guide me.

I just got my lapdock last week and have not really had much time to play with it, but I am really leaning towards trying the webtop2sd mod and going for a full XFCE4 linux rather than the somewhat limited stock webtop. I want the webtop to be the least frustrating experience possible, so that is why I am leaning towards a custom ROM and OC kernel rather than just using getting ROOT for the webtop2sd mod. I know that for webtop I can't do a CM7/9 based rom, so that leaves my options fairly limited. Is Nottach considered the top of the heap for webtop capable roms? Is overclocking advisable with the webtop?

If you were in my shoes what would you do? Any words of wisdom or advice? Thanks in advance!

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    Since I haven't ROM'd my Atrix very much I'll let others speak to the best webtop ROM, and overclocking with webtop, but i didn't want to say that I do think the Wifi/BT issues were just a coincidence. I have seen quite a few reports of that same problem from many users that have never modded at all, both here and the official Moto forums. I think there was just a radio build quality issues in the first batch of Atrix phones.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

AtrixForums.com : My Anti-Drug : Above the iNfluence

Member #
    Liked
    154 times
    Welcome to the forums!

There have been several reports of Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth issues recently.
    Also saw it happen on my wife's Atrix. Her phone was stock.
    Most phones had one thing in common..............

Did you by any point, accept an update from AT&T, to 2.3.6?

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I don't think I did the AT&T 2.3.6 however nottach is based on 2.3.6 specifically 4.5.141

My new phone came with 4.5.141 already on it from AT&T. I am not seeing a solid consensus on if it is safe to unlock the bootloader on this version. Any feedback?

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Twitter
    golfer_mfr
    Liked
    677 times
    It is safe to unlock the bootloader on the current version, but the same warnings apply: Follow the steps carefully and remember that unlocking the boot loader DOES void the warranty, so you must accept full responsibility for you actions.

I personally see no benefit from overclocking the processor ... the downsides outweigh the benefits IMHO.

Nottachtrix is probably the best blur rom out there at the moment and if you need the full features of what the Atrix offers, that would be my recommendation for a custom rom. Having said that, are you sure you need a custom rom? What is the stock version not giving you that adding apps, a new launcher, etc won't resolve?
    UltraDroid and tommy_vercetti like this.
    Please adhere to the Atrix Forum's Rules of Conduct

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by carl_h View Post
    ...Having said that, are you sure you need a custom rom? What is the stock version not giving you that adding apps, a new launcher, etc won't resolve?

That is what I have been asking myself. I have a feeling that some of it is the "because I can and because I did it to my last phone" as well as the "everybody's doing it" effects. Thousands have installed Nottach for a reason, but I am putting the cart before the horse. Wanting to install it before I know exactly why.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Of course you have to be careful ... but it seems to me that in most cases the oc kernels are overkill... sure it will give you a better bench score, but overall speed is hardly noticeable in everyday usage. I have noticed better smoothness and battery life with cm7 redpill and a custom kernel 1ghz and a slight underclock. Lately I've been running cm7.2 rc. AMAZING battery life... anyway to each his own as they say, but I would go ahead and unlock and run another rom, and if I was wanting webtop (I don't ... if I wanted a laggy crap interface I would logon to a old win98 machine...lol) I would run nottach stuff. It is the best out there for all that....webtop is cool, just not quite there yet. (And yes I do own a webtop dock... it is somewhat crap... really :-)

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I liked CM7 when I had it installed (except for the frequent browers FC's). Recently I decided to go back to school for a degree. A lot of the adult accelerated program I am in is web based. A few weeks ago I got a really nice Dell XPS 15 that I use for a laptop, but it is too big, and too nice to take to class. I got the lapdock from Amazon last week for about 20% of the original MSRP so I don't feel too bad. It was cheaper than a real netbook and considering my limited needs, it should be ok. I don't ever expect it to replace a full computer.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Twitter
    golfer_mfr
    Liked
    677 times
    Personally, I'd wait. With ICS coming out somewhere in the next 3 or 4 months, you could get a good look at ICSBlur without having to resort to taking a customized phone back to stock to try it out. Unless you have a compelling reason (and to be honest, I don't think there really is one other than to satisfy curiosity), waiting may be a reasonable decision.
    Please adhere to the Atrix Forum's Rules of Conduct

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I think you may be right, I'll root it so that I can do webtop2sd and have full control of things, but I think I will hold off on the BL for now.

Thanks for the advice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads