Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

CWM Alternative

This is a discussion on CWM Alternative within the Motorola Atrix Roms forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Development category; Hi everyone, I just wanted to make everyone aware that there is an alternative to the long standing ClockworkMod Recovery. It's called TWRP and you ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: CWM Alternative

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

CWM Alternative

Hi everyone,
    I just wanted to make everyone aware that there is an alternative to the long standing ClockworkMod Recovery. It's called TWRP and you can find out more and get it here.

The good:
    Touch navigation
    Keypad
    Themeable
    Mounts both internal and external storage

The Bad:
    Saves backup in a different file format
    Can not restore backups made by CWM (if you need to restore an old backup, it's as simple as reflashing CWM)

They have you download the .img file for fastboot installation. There are two other ways to install which both are way easier. First they also give you the option to download GooManager to install it which GreneFroggie mentions in another post here. Or second, someone over at XDA made a flashable zip here so you can just flash it in CWM (easiest).

I've already installed it, made a backup and installed the AndroBreadcrumbs ROM with no hitches what so ever. It's a lot better than pressing a button so many times just to hit 'yes'. Personally, I like to be different than everyone else. So this is just perfect for me.

I appologize in advance if I overstepped bounds and linked when and/or where I shouldn't have. If I did any wrong please let me know asap so I can make things right. I have nothing to do with any of this software, I found it, liked it and just want others to try it for themselves.
    Last edited by Yogi4; 07-27-2012 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Wrong link
    das8nt likes this.

Member #
    Twitter
    luradke
    Liked
    117 times
    I saw one of the devs on XDA mention this in their installation instructions. I had never heard of it before. I just checked out the video and it seems pretty smooth!

My biggest question is (no laughing please...I'm no IT expert ) can it flash all the roms I already have downloaded? The CM9 & 10s, Nottachtrix, etc...and webtop and that. I have just watched the video on the play store and I would guess yes, but I would just want to be sure. Right now I am in romracer's recovery due to it being atrix specific...but I never use the options for backing up webtop or for the removeable SD. So would this be an appropriate alternative? Thoughts anyone?

I'll be looking into this more...as the convenience appeals to me.
    Thanks for the post!
    ~Luke

Nottachtrix 2.0 with UbunTopLX

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I either seen it on YouTube or read it on XDA that some flashed cm9 using this. As for webtop, I don't know. But it is made for the atrix I do know that. I just remembered it did ask me if I wanted to include webtop in my backup. Hope that helps.

P.S. I didn't laugh. lol, ok now I did.
    Last edited by Yogi4; 07-26-2012 at 04:34 PM. Reason: ps

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Yogi4 View Post
    I appologize in advance if I overstepped bounds and linked when and/or where I shouldn't have. If I did any wrong please let me know asap so I can make things right. I have nothing to do with any of this software, I found it, liked it and just want others to try it for themselves.
    Not at all! Nice review and thanks for posting.

Sent from my Atrix HD MB886 using Tapatalk 2

AtrixForums.com : My Anti-Drug : Above the iNfluence

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    What is the point of using a recovery that can't access/backup all of the Atrix's partitions? That is why most people use Romracer's version.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gandalf_grey91 View Post
    What is the point of using a recovery that can't access/backup all of the Atrix's partitions? That is why most people use Romracer's version.
    I wasn't aware that it could not access/backup all partitions. I personally don't use webtop so I skipped that option when I backed up. I've never had to delve into accessing all the partitions as I just backed up, then cleared the normal stuff and then installed a new ROM. And when restoring, Had no problems at all. I've searched XDA and other places and could not get any info on the inability you mentioned. So I geuss it's to each his/her own then.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    [Unlocked Only][RECOVERY][2011-11-14] Custom CWM-based Recovery 5.0.2.7-atrix5 - xda-developers
    Quote Originally Posted by Yogi4 View Post
    I wasn't aware that it could not access/backup all partitions. I personally don't use webtop so I skipped that option when I backed up. I've never had to delve into accessing all the partitions as I just backed up, then cleared the normal stuff and then installed a new ROM. And when restoring, Had no problems at all. I've searched XDA and other places and could not get any info on the inability you mentioned. So I guess it's to each his/her own then.

Romracer modded CWM so that it see and backup Webtop partition, OSH. As I understand, it is the only recovery that can do that. Also can access both internal SD and external SD of the Atrix.

Take a look at:
    Code:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1204500
    If I didn't use the Webtop, or intend to install Linux to it, I wouldn't have bought an Atrix. I have had a look at TWRP, it looks interesting but I don't know which phone I would install it on. Anything with a2sd+, s2e etc. I would recommend using 4EXT, which is easily my fav recovery. TWRP is supposed to have very reliable restore from backup, something CWM is not known for.

Member #
    Liked
    33 times
    Nice, just watched the review video on the play store for Goo/TWRP and I have to say I'm impressed. I may flash it this evening, after my phone charges....
    Moto Atrix 4G - Rooted, BL Unlocked, Carrier unlocked, RedPill CM7.2
    Google N1 - Rooted, Retired, Bad power switch repaired, backup device

Member #
    Twitter
    luradke
    Liked
    117 times
    I just flashed it via CWM. I couldn't get it going with goo manager. This recovery is great! I really like the touch function! Can someone explain to me the different things to select when making backups? The three are automatically selected and cache and the one below are not. I made a backup but didn't select those two...should I have? (Sorry...I'm no techie)

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
    ~Luke

Nottachtrix 2.0 with UbunTopLX

Member #
    Liked
    33 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Lradke View Post
    I just flashed it via CWM. I couldn't get it going with goo manager. This recovery is great! I really like the touch function! Can someone explain to me the different things to select when making backups? The three are automatically selected and cache and the one below are not. I made a backup but didn't select those two...should I have? (Sorry...I'm no techie)

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
    From the control panel or from recovery?
    Moto Atrix 4G - Rooted, BL Unlocked, Carrier unlocked, RedPill CM7.2
    Google N1 - Rooted, Retired, Bad power switch repaired, backup device

Ads