Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Hello new to the android world.

This is a discussion on Hello new to the android world. within the New Member Introduction & Site Assistance forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Forum category; Hello all, I have been a long time I-phone user and decided to switch over. Just got the Atrix a few days ago and I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Hello new to the android world.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Hello new to the android world.

Hello all, I have been a long time I-phone user and decided to switch over. Just got the Atrix a few days ago and I am still trying to get use to the controls and features. I have been spoiled with unlimited data on my old carrier and now I am stuck with the 2gig a month data plan for at&t .

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    602 times
    Welcome to our little community

How are you liking the switch so far?
    "Just come on over to the Droid side. Its fun and we have cookies " - Gerseppy
    "If the Atrix Forums came in liquid form, I would totally shoot this sweet stuff up. But for now, I'm stuck snorting it! But man it's a rush!! " - ME, the Monsta

Stupid refers to lack of ability while Ignorant refers to lack of knowledge.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I am loving the switch so far, It feels great to be free of the whole I tunes deal. I even got my wife thinking of dumping her new I-phone4 lol. The only thing that I am worried about is the 2gig data deal thing. With my old I-phone I was able to turn off all the push notifications so that the phone does not go online for updates unless I open up the app. Is there a similar way to do this with the Atrix. It seems like my Atrix constantly goes on line for updates for social networks,email, games, weather,maps etc.

Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    remove the widgets for one. Also, if you had the unlimited data before, and they changed you, i'd call and raise hell. You were grandfathered into the system, there's no reason why they should have changed it. Welcome to the forum!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Cool,I will have to look into the widget thing (sorry I am new to this operating system). And I had a different carrier with a jailbroken I phone so I did not qualify for the unlimited data for at&t lol. The whole 2gb thing has got me all worried lol. My wife has all her push notifications off with her I-phone 4 so she never goes over but with me and my criag's list,ebay,e-mials and other forums I am just worried that I will go over the limit.

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    Welcome, mr biggenz!

I don't think you'll have a problem going over with the items listed that you use.

The real data hogs are: streaming music or video, downloading LOTS of songs, downloading other large files, using VOIP while on mobile data, etc.

Standard e-mails, web browsing, forums, push notifications and such shouldn't get you close to the 2GB.

Good luck though!

AtrixForums.com : My Anti-Drug : Above the iNfluence

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Cool, Thanks now at least I have piece of mind that I am not going to be over the 2gb. Just a quick question if I eliminate the widget off the main screen for social networks would it stop the phone from on going online by itself to update my facebook?

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    Removing the widget alone might not. You need to check in the settings of the Facebook account or go to Settings > Data Manager > Data Delivery and you have a few options in there to reduce data usage. You can disable background data and set your account to sync over Wifi only.

AtrixForums.com : My Anti-Drug : Above the iNfluence

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    423 times
    Welcome to Android, AT&T, Atrix, and the forums! You'll love it. I find it hard for an average->moderate->somewhat heavy user to exceed 2 GBs. On AT&T go ahead and call *3282# (DATA) for text messaging and data status (delayed updates). After 2 and a half weeks I'm at 777 MBs.

Like das8nt said, try to avoid crazy amounts of streaming (unless on WiFi, go crazy!) or large file downloading. Although you can do this a good bit, just keep an eye on data and you'll get to the point where you know if you're doing too much. Everything else though, like emails, web browsing, and notifications take up minimal data. However, home screen widgets that connect to the internet (weather, news, etc) drain battery because they are constantly running.

Hopefully I didn't ramble too much as I do, have fun with everything and post with any questions/issues.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hello all and thanks for all the help. I was able to play with my Atrix bit last night and I was able to mess around with the data manager/ data delivery. I have turned off my backround data and set my social application to update on wi-fi only and I was also able to set the e-mail notification to fetch (manual) instead of push. Seems to be working since my social network widget has not given me any updates unless I have wi-fi available and my e-mails has not updated unless I open up my e-mail account. I also downloaded the data counter app (not sure how accurate it is) and noticed that my phone used about 170-200kbs of data without me being online or using any apps I am just guessing it is from the maps,at&t navi and weather etc. I also un installed the advance app killer since I ran accros a thread pointing out that it acctually goes against the androids operating system and acctually crushes battery life from the system re starting certain apps every time I kill them. I am now using the built in task manager and only kill the programs that I have opend myself and I leave the rest on let the android do its thing lol. I guess worse comes to worse I can just turn off my data network completely if I was close to my data 2gb limit. It is a very minor thing but my O.C.D. just kicks in and I am bothered by the fact that I don't have total control of when my phone uses data. BTW thanks again to all of you for the great info this android noob really appreciates it .
    Im A Monsta likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads