Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Atrix v's iPhone, my first impressions as a new Atrix owner

This is a discussion on Atrix v's iPhone, my first impressions as a new Atrix owner within the New Member Introduction & Site Assistance forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Forum category; Gday folks, Just thought I'd share my first thoughts on Atrix (I've had it for 3 weeks now) & indeed on Android as a new ...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By Kool68
  • 2 Post By SteveO390
  • 1 Post By Damien1592
  • 3 Post By Im A Monsta
  • 2 Post By das8nt

Thread: Atrix v's iPhone, my first impressions as a new Atrix owner

Member #
    Liked
    5 times

Post Atrix v's iPhone, my first impressions as a new Atrix owner

Gday folks,
    Just thought I'd share my first thoughts on Atrix (I've had it for 3 weeks now) & indeed on Android as a new Droid user after almost 4 years of iPhones.

What a like about the Atrix:
    The strength of the various radios is excellent. I'm with Telstra & got good reception on the iPhone with the usual dead spots in the bush for mobile service & sluggish GPS because of the trees. But the Atrix seems to have MUCH stronger signals on both fronts.
    The speed is amazing for web browsing etc.

What I don't like about the Atrix:
    BATTERY LIFE!!!!! I get 6 - 8 hours at the best.
    Instability - it needs to be rebooted about once a day when it slows to a grinding halt usually after web browsing.I also had to do a hard-reset within 48 hours of owning it. Apparently you can't just 'try' apps from the market & know that they're going to be safe & stable for your Atrix.
    Android Market - not a huge selection of apps, NO MUSIC, BOOKS OR MOVIE HIRE (although some of this has been release in the USA recently, what about the rest of the world? Too narrow minded Google).
    No native backup of entire phone to pc
    No way to roll out policy like active directory to secure device in a corporate environment. Could never be considered for a corporate deployment.

What I prefer about the iPhone:
    IOS is a WAY more polished OS that is much smoother & an all round better experience.
    Stable - can go weeks without rebooting.
    Battery life is always good for a day.
    App Store - it has EVERYTHING you could ever want & a 1000 times more.
    iTunes Sync & complete backup of phone.
    Can apply a corporate policy to secure phone/mail etc.

Would I buy another Droid again? I don't think so. I think (& should have waited for) iPhone 5 would be a far better solution, even iPhone 4 is way more stable & usable as an all round smart phone - business tool.
    I think the Droid is more aimed at teenagers (not like me) & geeks (like me) & don't really have to use it in a business environment.

I could certainly do with some encouragement to stay with this Droid, will Gingerbread (available late July??) be any more stable & give better battery performance?
    Last edited by Kool68; 07-12-2011 at 08:53 PM. Reason: forgot a line.
    ValhallaGSXR likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Well, that's basically what I said in my previous post.

I was an iPhone user and wanted to switch to Android. The day I went to the shop to buy the Atrix, the price had just increased A LOT. But I was still motivated to try Android and the Atrix. I finally bought the Nexus S. Why? Because I found a good offer, reasonable price, and because this is a pure Android so I could really switch from pure iOS to pure Android.
    Another reason not to choose the Atrix was: what's the point of having a really powerful device if the software makes it as "slow" as any other devices? (Well ok, this is not slow at all :-))

I chose this option to have the latest smooth software, and believe me I would prefer the Atrix running the same software (stock Android) because of its amazing hardware.

My first impressions after almost a week:
    - I was a bit disappointed at first, probably because the touch screen and the system don't react the same as the iPhone. I can't say it is laggy because it's not. It's just different, and I must say that today I like it better and better.
    - The stock web browser is.. pure s***. Seriously this is a shame Google put such a crappy app as the default browser. I downloaded Opera mobile and the web browsing is now very fast, I really like it, this is the browser I now use.
    - System speed: coming from an old iPhone, I must say the device is really fast! No doubt about it. This is nice!
    - The market has a lot of apps, but seriously this is a big mess. Why? No control at all. It is crazy that almost every useful application is authorized to read contact data, sensitive log, even phone calls... Seriously, why?!
    Check these three well known apps:
    - Evernote: Location (may be relevant..), contacts (why?!), sensitive logs (why?!), phone calls (WHY?!)...
    - Opera mobile: Location, user data, phone calls... WHY?!
    - Weather channel: same...

Seriously this is crazy, and this is why Android is way more vulnerable than iOS. To be honest this is almost the only thing that really affects me: I don't feel safe at all leaving my data on the phone.

Today I don't really know how much time I'll keep the Nexus S. As I said before, I like the phone better and better, but there are so many breaches in privacy that I don't know if I'll stay with the phone when the iPhone5 will be released.
    In the meantime, I think I'll have some fun using Android, customizing the device to make it mine, unique. And I'll be very careful when downloading an app.

I really think users should pay more attention to the apps permissions and should not download it if it seems suspicious. This way, developers will stop making apps sneaking every private data on the phone when it is not necessary.

Limitless.
    Last edited by das8nt; 07-14-2011 at 10:38 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    195 times
    Ok guys check it out I will give you my honest assessment of this phone, simply put, I like it, I don't LOVE it but I definitely like it and I think I'll like it even more when we get Gingerbread by the end of the month. Allow me to elaborate.

When I started my little journey looking for the "perfect" phone for ME I had a Blackberry 8900. I considered all the major OS's, iOS, WP7 and of course Android even BB6 on the Torch. My first experience with Android lasted for 10 days on the Captivate. I found way too many short comings that were attributed to the device, like the lack of a forward facing camera and not necessarily Android, so I returned it and got an iPhone 4 and didn't worry about returning it in 30 days because my wife knew she wanted it no matter what so if I still wanted something else I could just give her the iPhone and I could get something else. I spent six weeks with the iPhone 4 and to put it simply, it just worked and worked pretty good. But some things got on my nerves with that phone...

1)My wife had the iPhone 3G so because I didn't make sure that I was signed into iTunes instead of her, ALL of our contacts were put together. I had all her work contacts, her Dad was listed as Dad and his full name, my Dad was listed as Dad and his full name. Same thing for "Mom" and I now had all of her work contacts and she had mine...a huge mess. So if I stuck with the iPhone 4 and she got one the problem would persist.

2)EVERYONE I know has one, my wife, the guys I go riding with on the weekends and their wives/girlfriends, my sister, my mom, my two oldest friends from high school. Even the girl that sits in the cubicle next to me at work. So what right? Well not only do I just feel like a lemming but the sounds are all the same which leads me to...

3) You can change the incoming ring for voice calls to nearly anything your little heart desires. You want to change the incoming text tone, sure choose from the dozen that Steve Jobs approved of, that's it. Facebook tone, e-mail tone, any other app that has a notification tone...nope you get what you get, that's it! My Blackberry could customize that at least, I had a different tone for each of my e-mail accounts, facebook, you name it. And Blackberry is more secure that anyone.

4)Kind of feeds off of 3, just can't do anything with the phone but buy apps and put them on your phone, no themeing, no changing notification tones, nothing. There isn't even different models to choose from, even Blackberry recognizes the need for different models.

So, I did my research, checked out this forum poked around and decided on this phone, the Atrix, and I am completely satisfied. That isn't to say I think this phone is the be all end all, the fact of the matter is that no phone is. I find somethings I miss about the iPhone, the smoothness of operation, the ease with which everything works, but as I elaborated above, I felt it too restricting. Everything is a compromise, it's about deciding what is most important to YOU! For me, the Atrix had the things that were most important to ME.

I've been on this forum almost as long as it's been around and I can tell you that these guys are honest and real about other phones and they bare no ill towards anyone of a differing opinion and will readily admit all of iOS's strengths but to this point, the two of you have seemed to want to come in here and do little more than complain so we go into defensive mode and tell you why the Atrix is better. Limitless, you didn't even buy and Atrix so you should be checking out a Nexus forum because we simply won't be able to help you. Kool68, if you want help or advice on specifics on how to get more out of you Atrix anyone in here is more than willing to help, including me, if I can. So if you two would please stop posting threads and comments that do nothing more than complain about the phone/OS and maybe contribute to this forum with either questions we can help you with or help you can offer others through what you've learned about the phone we would greatly appreciate it.

-- SteveO
    carl_h and daveyonthemove like this.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    423 times
    Omg 3 huge posts I need to remember to read this when I have time. Welcome to the Atrix!

Tapped thanks to DroiDIY!
    - Sam

I have much experience with unlocked bootloaders and custom ROMs on the original ATRIX. I will do my best to hold your hand through any problem, small or large, on any phone. Please open up a thread in the help section (or Rescue Squad section if your phone is in dire need) or PM me. I don't bite

Member #
    Liked
    116 times
    Spoken like a true fan boy. It seems to me like u bought an Atrix and was as narrowminded about Android as u could of possibly been. If u wanted a phone like an iPhone, u should of bought another iPhone. No one here says the iPhone is a bad phone, and if someone does they either never used one or is lying to themselves. However u bought the Atrix expecting it to be an iPhone, the Atrix has its pluses the iPhone has its pluses its up to u to decide what is better for u. I dont see the purpose of making a post on an Atrix forum saying everything u dont like about Android, and everything u like about the iPhone. U said u've only had it for 3 weeks, just return it and wait for the i5 no one here is gonna blame u or be mad at u. If ur waiting for someone here to say "no please dont go back to the iPhone" your fooling yourself.
    redrider67 likes this.
    My Atrix is back on the Pill so i decided to take off the case.
    I think this is where i say something witty, clever, and cool.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveO390 View Post
    Limitless, you didn't even buy and Atrix so you should be checking out a Nexus forum because we simply won't be able to help you.
    The only reason I posted here was because I asked your help a few days ago in another topic and I wanted to give you my first impressions about Android, not about the Nexus. Since Kool68 also came from the iPhone experience, I wanted to give you MY feelings about this OS knowing that I had a great iOS experience.

Read my previous post again, I didn't complain about the Atrix nor the Nexus. I gave you my feelings about Android, which is I think a great OS. I like it. The only thing that is very bad (my opinion) is the open-with-no-control market.

I didn't buy the Atrix, that's true, but I still think it is the best Android phone today. Unfortunately the Motorola updates are released a long time after the stock update. You live in the US and you're still running Froyo, so imagine in France...

Anyway, I'm still playing with my new Android phone and hope I'll have as much fun as you do with your Atrix.

Limitless

Member #
    Twitter
    @logantyler_
    Liked
    59 times
    Someone needs to call the wambulance for these guys.
    Name:  wambulance.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  138.6 KB

All jokes aside, complaining doesn't do anything.
    Don't buy an Android phone expecting it to be like iOS. Bottom line.
    Last edited by Logan.; 07-14-2011 at 12:35 PM.
    Rooted & Unlocked Motorola Atrix with CM7

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    oh look, another post that we get to watch the die hard iphone haters jump on a person that makes very valid points at how much android sucks. and even a little bit of name calling.

Thank you OP, not im not as outnumbered on this forum. just waiting til the iphone 5 comes out so i can ditch this problematic OS for good.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    602 times
    Alright. I'm closing this one too. You guys can't keep having these conversations about iPhone vs. Android like this. People are getting too upset, and we are getting no where with them. Clearly, some of you don't like the OS or this phone. But this is a place for us to talk about the Motorola Atrix. Not bash on everything you hate about it and how you can wait to get the new iPhone. I'm not saying discussions can't be held on your comparisons, but clearly, this isn't working.

Thanks for you cooperation.

Please feel free to message me or any of the other Atrix staff if you have a concern or question.

-Monsta
    ROCer, das8nt and carl_h like this.

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    Good call, Monsta.

I just want to add one point before anyone makes false claims as to why an Android forum would shut down an iPhone discussion...

The majority of us here at AtrixForums.com do not have anything against the iPhone as a viable option. It really is a great, well made consumer device, though it's not for everybody as evidenced here and around the world. This thread is not being closed because we don't welcome members that have a positive view of the iPhone, but purely because the comparison discussion never ends up well and this thread was quickly becoming a prime example. It doesn't mean you are a 'fanboy' if you respectfully defend your choice, but unfortunately respect is very often left behind in these types of threads.

Again, thanks for your understanding.
    Im A Monsta and ROCer like this.

AtrixForums.com : My Anti-Drug : Above the iNfluence

Remove Ads

Ads