Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Nexus 5

This is a discussion on Nexus 5 within the Off-Topic Forum forums, part of the Off-Topic Area category; Not if it's a Nexus. Look at the horrible mess that Verizon made out of the launch of the Galaxy Nexus. Google (who owns Motorola) ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Nexus 5

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2018 times
    Not if it's a Nexus. Look at the horrible mess that Verizon made out of the launch of the Galaxy Nexus. Google (who owns Motorola) released the Nexus 4 as a GSM only phone - why do you suppose they did that?
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock

GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.0.1 Rom

Member #
    Twitter
    @Djedgarftw
    Liked
    26 times
    True but you never know. Even if they don't release it its always about $300 to buy it and you can use it on wifi or get a line on it for like $40-50 on prepaid

Sent from my Nexus 4
    Atrix Nottach Trix 4G 1.30

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I think Nexus 5 would be the most advanced android phone. It would be assembled by LG. The most attracting feature of Nexus 5 is it will come with the upcoming android OS "Kitkat". Further specs rumoured are 2GB or 3GB of RAM, a quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor chip, a 1080x1920 display made using Corning Gorilla Glass 3 technology, and a 2,700 mAh battery.

Member #
    Twitter
    @Djedgarftw
    Liked
    26 times
    Quote Originally Posted by littevers1991 View Post
    I think Nexus 5 would be the most advanced android phone. It would be assembled by LG. The most attracting feature of Nexus 5 is it will come with the upcoming android OS "Kitkat". Further specs rumoured are 2GB or 3GB of RAM, a quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor chip, a 1080x1920 display made using Corning Gorilla Glass 3 technology, and a 2,700 mAh battery.
    I can't wait for kitkat and the nexus 5

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    231 times
    Quote Originally Posted by UltraDroid View Post
    Not if it's a Nexus. Look at the horrible mess that Verizon made out of the launch of the Galaxy Nexus. Google (who owns Motorola) released the Nexus 4 as a GSM only phone - why do you suppose they did that?
    To make this point, you have to understand why they don't want to work with Sprint or Verizon (here in the US, there are other CDMA networks worldwide, if only a few).

To run a GSM network, you have to accept any GSM phone. It's part of the standard if I am not mistaken. Which means, if you have a GSM phone like a Nexus device, AT&T and T-Mobile cannot block access of the device on the network. CDMA networks have no such rules. CDMA is not a world wide recognized cell phone standard. Which means they can run these silly certification tests that take up to weeks. This also gives them the opportunity to basically say "Okay, you don't want to put this or that on your phone, well, you can't run it on our network." GSM carriers cannot do that. If the phone accepts a GSM SIM, the carrier has to allow it to run on their network.

This gives Sprint and Verizon the power to more or less dictate what phones operate on their network. Manufacturers and OS partners usually have to comply or they just turn the phone down.

Also, making a phone with two different radios sucks. All GSM phones typically have one cell radio (here in the US), but if you want a phone to run on Sprint or Verizon, now you have to put an additional CDMA radio in there too. Now you're talking about eating some battery when switching from CDMA (2G, 3G) to LTE ("4G") which can be a major PITA.

Enough of my ranting!!

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    646 times
    I highly doubt that if Motorola makes a nexus it would come to Verizon. I'm debating between the Nexus 5 or the G2 right now. If the Nexus comes with the same battery as the G2 I'll probably go with it. If not more than likely the G2 or the Sony Z1 for me.

Tapped on my S III....
    UltraDroid likes this.
    Welcome to Android
    Atrix 4G Running CM9
    GNex Running JellyBelly JB 4.2 Custom
    Iconia A500 Running CM10
    Galaxy S3 Stock

Please feel free to PM me if you need any help, I'll get back to you as soon as I can..

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    495 times
    In the back of my mind I am hoping that they come out with two nexus devices- one by LG, and one by Motorola(kind of a dark horse candidate if you will). Kind of a long shot I know, but one can hope.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4
    Last edited by Condor97; 09-25-2013 at 09:55 PM.

Member #
    Twitter
    @Djedgarftw
    Liked
    26 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Condor97 View Post
    In the back of my mind I am hoping that they come out with two nexus devices- one by LG, and one by Motorola(kind of a dark horse candidate if you will). Kind of a long shot I know, but one can hope.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4
    That wound be amazing

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by DJEDGARFTW; 10-12-2013 at 07:31 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    420 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Condor97 View Post
    Only if the bootloader is unlocked or is user-unlockable. Otherwise, they can go pound sand, because I've had my fill of bootloaders that are locked tighter than a chastity belt.
    RobKort, ROCer, DJEDGARFTW and 1 others like this.
    Martin's Android devices:
    - Samsung Galaxy S3 with Quantum (CM 10.2 by PwnCakes193)
    - Asus Transformer TF101 with No-Name (CM 10.2 by josteink)
    - Motorola Atrix 4G with CM 7.2

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    646 times
    LOL MJ....

Tapped on my S III....
    Welcome to Android
    Atrix 4G Running CM9
    GNex Running JellyBelly JB 4.2 Custom
    Iconia A500 Running CM10
    Galaxy S3 Stock

Please feel free to PM me if you need any help, I'll get back to you as soon as I can..

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads