Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

HTC Evo 3D micro-USB port doubles as HDMI port!

This is a discussion on HTC Evo 3D micro-USB port doubles as HDMI port! within the Off-Topic Forum forums, part of the Off-Topic Area category; Just saw this on Android Community. I find it interesting and can't wait to see it a standard in the phone industry. The micro-USB port ...

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    423 times

HTC Evo 3D micro-USB port doubles as HDMI port!

Just saw this on Android Community. I find it interesting and can't wait to see it a standard in the phone industry. The micro-USB port on the upcoming HTC Evo 3D is special in that it can also take in a HDMI cable pretty much meaning one less port and not having to worry about slamming a charger into a HDMI slot or visa versa.

Via: HTC EVO 3D Features micro-USB Port with HDMI Capability | Android Community

UPDATE: Reading a comment on the above link I saw this was announce on a couple other phones including Samsung Galaxy S2 and it is made possible with a new Mobile High-Definition Link (MHL) which allows charging along with 1080p video and audio transfer:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_...efinition_Link
    Last edited by thekooliest; 03-24-2011 at 05:21 PM.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    602 times
    So... You would then need a special HDMI cable instead of the standard one?

Which means all new cables... And possibility for having to use proprietary ones, because the USB jacks are so picky on what cables will work.
    "Just come on over to the Droid side. Its fun and we have cookies " - Gerseppy
    "If the Atrix Forums came in liquid form, I would totally shoot this sweet stuff up. But for now, I'm stuck snorting it! But man it's a rush!! " - ME, the Monsta

Stupid refers to lack of ability while Ignorant refers to lack of knowledge.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    423 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Im A Monsta View Post
    So... You would then need a special HDMI cable instead of the standard one?

Which means all new cables... And possibility for having to use proprietary ones, because the USB jacks are so picky on what cables will work.
    Didn't think of it that way, although the devices will be coming with the cable because its also a charger.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    602 times
    Well that's where you're wrong. The cable as the charger would be mirco-USB to USB. And you would need a second cable where it's micro-USB to HDMI.
    "If the Atrix Forums came in liquid form, I would totally shoot this sweet stuff up. But for now, I'm stuck snorting it! But man it's a rush!! " - ME, the Monsta

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    602 times
    Which, if it's like our phones, it will come with an HDMI cable, so it wouldn't be too big of an issue. Unless you leave your special HDMI cable at home and want to plug your phone into another TV. Then if they have a standard HDMI cable, you're kind of SOL.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    423 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Im A Monsta View Post
    Well that's where you're wrong. The cable as the charger would be mirco-USB to USB. And you would need a second cable where it's micro-USB to HDMI.
    Ah I'm so out of it this Thursday, I can't assure this but I would assume it comes with the special HDMI cable also..who knows how long (in my opinion our 6ft cable isn't practical but I never use it).

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    602 times
    I'll let you read my second response

Remove Ads

Ads