Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Sopa / pipa

This is a discussion on Sopa / pipa within the Off-Topic Forum forums, part of the Off-Topic Area category; Originally Posted by carl_h I do urge everyone to read both sides to get a clearer understanding of this issue. Some of the blogs and ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Sopa / pipa

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    231 times
    Quote Originally Posted by carl_h View Post
    I do urge everyone to read both sides to get a clearer understanding of this issue. Some of the blogs and comments being made are sharing misinformation. Be informed.

I'd also like to remind everyone that this forum does not permit political discussions, so let's keep this civil and not let it turn off course.

BUC, this forum is dedicated to the users of Atrix and is run by users. We depend on those dedicated tech news sites for information ourselves. We don't report news as much as we relay it.
    I agree with you there carl_h. Do you have any links that could show both sides?

Most of the stuff I have read shows what is bad about SOPA/PIPA. I will say that I believe as an American, that if you create something, you deserve to the right to profit from it. To what extent is ultimately up to how well the product does I guess. I can see, to an extent, where folks supporting both are coming from, especially in the movie and music industry. However, from what I have read, I have heard that a lot of information used to push these bills has been seriously skewed. The problem I have, is I don't have a way to know what is accurate and what is not? I fear that a lot of people would say the same thing.

At the same time, I also agree, that we probably shouldn't be breaking any forum rules in this (or any) discussion. If you do have a way to get that information, could you hit me off boards?

Member #
    Liked
    420 times
    SOPA/PIPA: using a guillotine to cure a headache.
    Martin's Android devices:
    - Samsung Galaxy S3 with Quantum (CM 10.2 by PwnCakes193)
    - Asus Transformer TF101 with No-Name (CM 10.2 by josteink)
    - Motorola Atrix 4G with CM 7.2

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Twitter
    golfer_mfr
    Liked
    677 times
    I don't have the links handy, but if you just do a search, you can find some that address the pros and cons somewhat objectively. Most of them were fairly biased against the bills (that's not a condemnation nor an endorsement, but rather an observation) PCMag comes to mind as one that gave a more objective piece.

I can tell you that the tech sites tend to be more against the bill, whereas the media sites tend to be more for the bill. Not having read the bill, as if we could wade through the legal jargon and double speak, we tend to rely only on what others tell us and those sources are often biased one way or the other. It never hurts to read both sides, even if you disagree with one side.

I think it's more important that we raise the awareness of the subject and have people form their own opinions.

Note: These are my opinions and do not necessarily reflect those of the forum managers.
    Last edited by carl_h; 01-18-2012 at 07:28 PM.
    UltraDroid, G-Man and das8nt like this.
    Please adhere to the Atrix Forum's Rules of Conduct

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    231 times
    Thanks carl_h!! I will have to do that when I get a chance. I know who a lot of the major players are that are for the bill. I can appreciate their perspective. Enough on that though, tha ks for the input. I fear if I go much further on the topic, I might explode.

Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    Quote Originally Posted by carl_h View Post
    BUC, this forum is dedicated to the users of Atrix and is run by users. We depend on those dedicated tech news sites for information ourselves. We don't report news as much as we relay it.
    Yes carl_h you are correct, but I was not trying to accuse or offend, I was just trying to be helpful with information that could help us Atrix users and everyone else reading this forum...

As an example I knew about the Lapdock sale on AT&T a couple of weeks before it was shown here... (that particular news does not get old since that sale seems to be around until items last...) anyway for some Atrix users it is important to know it sooner rather than later... that's my point...

and sincerely I was not complaining...

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Twitter
    golfer_mfr
    Liked
    677 times
    Well...you, as a user and member of this forum, can always bring us the news first (grin). We don't mind!
    Please adhere to the Atrix Forum's Rules of Conduct

Member #
    Twitter
    Auxilium1
    Liked
    90 times
    Currently Running:
    White Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket - Stock ICS
    Atrix 4G - Dorian's RedPill (CM7) Hybrid.
    Nexus S - CyanogenMod 9
    Xperia Arc S
    - Stock ICS

Member #
    Liked
    420 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Auxilium View Post
    Very interesting. I knew that the House had tabled SOPA, but I didn't know that the Senate had done the same to PIPA. Make no mistake, though: these bills aren't dead, merely tabled, waiting for the public to once again become complacent so that they can slip them through under the radar. (Yeah, I'm a pessimist when it comes to this stuff.) And the MAFIAA-based justifications for these bills are still bogus, but as they say, money talks, and the MAFIAA are huge political doners.
    Last edited by carl_h; 01-20-2012 at 01:33 PM. Reason: unnecessary language removed
    Martin's Android devices:
    - Samsung Galaxy S3 with Quantum (CM 10.2 by PwnCakes193)
    - Asus Transformer TF101 with No-Name (CM 10.2 by josteink)
    - Motorola Atrix 4G with CM 7.2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Ads