Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Old news for us Atrix owners...

This is a discussion on Old news for us Atrix owners... within the Off-Topic Forum forums, part of the Off-Topic Area category; Leave it to the ifanboys to bring it to light. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1333431.html Tapped from Chris's OG Atrix running Dorian's hybrid!...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By MJPollard
  • 1 Post By grenefroggie

Thread: Old news for us Atrix owners...

Member #
    Liked
    177 times

Old news for us Atrix owners...

Leave it to the ifanboys to bring it to light. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1333431.html

Tapped from Chris's OG Atrix running Dorian's hybrid!

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2018 times
    Moved to the off-topic area.
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock

GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.0.1 Rom

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I hear ya. When I bought my Atrix 4G I though it would have 4G speeds when the "backhaul" was in place. I was scammed!

At first I was upset with Motorola for deceiving me with "4G" in the name of the device. Then I was mad at AT&T for saying that HSPA+ counts as 4G and that LTE was just another 4G. Now I see that many manufacturers and at least two carriers have lied to us over that past 12 months as they scramble to get 4G LTE up and operational.

The real question now is: How long will 4G LTE be the standard? Can we buy a 4G LTE phone this year and expect it to be current for the next two years?

Member #
    Liked
    420 times
    Quote Originally Posted by clayinaustin View Post
    The real question now is: How long will 4G LTE be the standard? Can we buy a 4G LTE phone this year and expect it to be current for the next two years?
    I've been witness to so many changes in technology over the past 30+ years that I can safely say: probably not. Technology changes too rapidly, and companies are too sneaky with nomenclature for marketing purposes, to realistically expect anymore that something will remain viable for very long before it's surpassed by "the next new thing." Yeah, it's a cynical point of view, but one that's unfortunately backed up by history. I've learned to just go with the moment, enjoy the technology that's currently out instead of worrying about what will happen several years from now, because I'm very likely to find something better down the line, especially when it comes to mobile technology.
    UltraDroid and SteveO390 like this.
    Martin's Android devices:
    - Samsung Galaxy S3 with Quantum (CM 10.2 by PwnCakes193)
    - Asus Transformer TF101 with No-Name (CM 10.2 by josteink)
    - Motorola Atrix 4G with CM 7.2

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    1080p HDTV has been out for five years, and so far nothing has replaced it, so a technology can last longer that two years!

I know there will always be a faster processor, but I'm hoping that 4G LTE and Ice Cream Sandwich will still be considered "current" two years after I sign my next two-year contract!

Member #
    Liked
    420 times
    1080p HDTV has been out for five years, and so far nothing has replaced it, so a technology can last longer that two years!
    Yeah, but TV manufacturers don't lock you into two-year contracts and come up with products that intentionally obsolete their old products in order to force you to upgrade. (3D TV aside, of course, but that's another topic altogether.)

I know there will always be a faster processor, but I'm hoping that 4G LTE and Ice Cream Sandwich will still be considered "current" two years after I sign my next two-year contract!
    Oh, 4G LTE probably will, but the rumors surrounding Jelly Bean might spell a different story for ICS. Four years down the line, though? As far as I'm concerned, all bets are off.
    Martin's Android devices:
    - Samsung Galaxy S3 with Quantum (CM 10.2 by PwnCakes193)
    - Asus Transformer TF101 with No-Name (CM 10.2 by josteink)
    - Motorola Atrix 4G with CM 7.2

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    231 times
    LTE (I hate when people call it 4G, it's not 4G, it's a 3G standard. Please take that with a smile, it is not meant to be snappy, more of a statement of fact) will be around for a while. Think of it this way, the first LTE network was deployed in Stockholm and Oslo almost two years before Verizon had it deployed and serviceable in the states (2009, 2011 respectively). Once a draft becomes a standard, manufacturers of the equipment on the carrier side still take time to design hardware and software. Although, based on the draft, they may have already started making the equipment, they have to allow for changes in the draft once it becomes a standard. Companies like Nortel and Motorola have to develop equipment, test it, and then test it again to make sure it works like it is supposed to. This takes lots of time, and lots of money.

Quote Originally Posted by MJPollard View Post
    Oh, 4G LTE probably will, but the rumors surrounding Jelly Bean might spell a different story for ICS. Four years down the line, though? As far as I'm concerned, all bets are off.
    MJ is most likely correct. LTE-Advanced was standardized in March 2011. Assuming that manufacturers are either still working on the hardware for the carrier side, or even have it deployed in some areas for testing, you likely won't see it around for another few years. Most carriers won't even have all of their HIGHLY congested areas over to LTE by then. I don't plan to see it in Louisville until late 2013 if I had any guess.

For mobile devices, hardware and software come a lot faster. The only thing holding software back in the great U.S. of A. is the carriers, and maybe the manufacturers too. Mostly, it's the carriers I think. Time will only tell, but I have a feeling LTE-Advanced will be around for a while. Take the WiMAX protocol for example: It was standardized in 2005. And now we have WiMAX 2, which could be deployed here in the U.S. by various carriers in 2012 (Clearwire being the one specific name I have read tied to the standard, if they don't fall flat on their face bankrupt first).

More or less, making the laws of physics do what you want them to is a little more difficult than developing software to make your phone even more awesome. I hope to see it come to the U.S. as soon as possible, because watching technology evolve is interesting to me. However, I think we're going to see it slowed by the people who stand to lose the most by switching technologies so often, and that is the carriers.

Remove Ads

Ads