Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

[OPINION]It's all about the TB's...Lungbender, this one is for you

This is a discussion on [OPINION]It's all about the TB's...Lungbender, this one is for you within the Off-Topic Forum forums, part of the Off-Topic Area category; So I stumbled on to the the NottachTrix post where I saw a comment that I wanted to expand on, for no real reason other ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: [OPINION]It's all about the TB's...Lungbender, this one is for you

  1. #1
    Rescue Squad
    Member #
    7308
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    835
    Liked
    231 times

    [OPINION]It's all about the TB's...Lungbender, this one is for you

    So I stumbled on to the the NottachTrix post where I saw a comment that I wanted to expand on, for no real reason other than I like to offer different perspectives.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lungbender View Post
    It's all about the Tb's. I store everything. Clouds can disappear on a clear day. *response to earlier post about Megaupload
    I like the metaphore. However, I feel the need to educate: Cloud computing..if implemented properly will be better than most options available to the average computer user.

    Let me explain:

    Say the average computer user has one hard drive in their computer. From experience, they bought an external drive to back up things because they don't want to have to go through the hassle of doing it again if their nice new drive fails them. That is awesome. Most people don't do that, and it works out well....until that drive fails. It is inevitable that if you have a hard drive that is used frequently, it is going to fail. Yes, that is a generalization, but I have yet to have someone prove me wrong.

    The things I do at home provide me better protection of my data than most, but there is still a fail point:

    I have two main drives in a raid 0 configuration. They are SSD's, and I want the speed (no practical purpose other than wanting some of the heavier programs I run to load more quickly and to brag to my friends that don't have them). I have a second 1TB drive for storage. Then, I have a NAS that has give or take 2TB or storage at any given time (a total of 4TB of storage empty). This is set up in a Raid 3. Three data drives and one parity drive I think. So when I save files, I save them on my data drive. The only thing that goes on the SSD's are the OS and programs. Depending on how paranoid I am feeling, or if I want to play with my computer in a fashion that might corrupt everything (yeah, I do that too, not nearly as often) I will backup my main raid volume and my data drive to the NAS. So my NAS is my last point of failure. It does have redundancy built in to it, so if a drive fails, the data can be recovered. However, if more than one drive fails...I could have a serious problem. My NAS is my point of failure.

    CLOUD COMPUTING - Good stuff!!

    I can only think of one word when I think of awesome, large and just awesome cloud networks: AMAZON

    Amazon has the largest cloud computing network in the world. While they don't offer services in EVERY country, but they have their feet in the door in a lot of places. I won't go in to the details, because Wikipedia explains it better than I could.

    Cloud computing is great. And it's really the hot technology out there in the IT world right now. Apple made a huge deal out of the iCloud which gave me the impression they wanted to believe they were the first to use cloud computing for their customers.

    **On a funny note, when researching in the Apple's "iCloud" we (the folks at my office) were able to trace how much traffic was being uploaded and downloaded from my co-worker's phone. We saw the IP it was transferring to, what port it was using and how much bandwidth is required. So my co-worker does a name resolution on the IP address and to my surprise, Apple was using Microsoft's cloud network to host their data. 40 Billion dollars Steve Jobs wanted to dedicate to kill Android if that was what it took. Building Apple's own cloud network with their own infrastructure wasn't important. I won't say it isn't smart...why spend billions on something that is already done?**

    Implemented properly and secured, cloud computing is the way to go when it comes to data, and web development too. You can access your data anywhere you have a connection to the internet on almost any device. The downside of cloud computing, is the cost to the customer. Google makes well by integrating it with their Android phones (you can automatically back up your phone to Google's cloud). But you're paying for it, just not a monthly fee. But if you're going somewhere else to get it done, they charge by the byte...or kilbyte...or megabyte...you get the point. Yes, I am sure there are lots of bad things about it. I am by no means an expert. Maybe I am in love with the concept, but there are many companies out there that have proved their weight in gold (Dropbox..ahem) when it comes to online storage.

    I think I am done. Please pick, poke, prod and tell me what you think. I will say that I am not a cloud computing specialist, and I don't know all the technical ins and outs. My roommate just bought a super thick book on Linux cloud computing, which could turn in to a business venture.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Member #
    12085
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Atwater, CA
    Posts
    170
    Liked
    28 times
    I'm not saying that there's inherently anything wrong with the cloud, but once you upload or share anything with a server, it becomes potentially vulnerable. I keep a large external hard drive which I use strictly for storage. I update as rarely as possible. I also store files (that I really shouldn't have digitally- lol) in lockable encryption programs within. I also file share a lot of my media (movies, music, etc.) with friends & family, but never online (I use flash drives, etc.). The more you spread it around, the more protection you have against a personal hard drive failure. Super personal files really shouldn't take up any more space that can be stored on a $20 flash drive. Don't get me wrong, it is cool to be able to access files from a home or office PC on your phone to save storage, but how many movies or much music(I keep nearly 10 gigs) do you need for a day or two*. If you're truly paranoid, you can not put any trust in a cloud type server.
    *may not apply if stranded on a desert island. Native "current" bush inhabitation on afforementioned island voids earlier statement
    -p.s. The spellcheck sucks
    ""From my cold, dead hands!"

  3. #3
    Rescue Squad
    Member #
    7308
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    835
    Liked
    231 times
    I agree with all of your points. However, at the same time, I am a rather care free person....to almost any extent.

    If someone gets my bank info, that would suck. I would have to spend some time sorting it out. It happens, and I would have to deal with it. When it all comes down to it, what this brings us is peace of mind.

    In a different direction, all it takes is a person who let's their child use their computer and all of a sudden you have 15 viruses and someone found a backdoor in your computer because they click "Yes, run this program" when your anti-virus popped up say "Hey buddy, I don't like this, you shouldn't install it!" And now they have access to all of the things you are trying hard to protect. An encrypted file isn't a non crack able file, it just means more resources are going to need to be used to get the file readable. That doesn't mean throw caution to the wind. But if someone gets your stuff on your personal computer, and you don't know how they got it, and it harms you in some way, there might be nothing you can do about it. If someone breaks in to a cloud service and steals stuff, now that company is on the line. If it causes damages...BOOM...class action lawsuit because you sat there and told me my information was safe.

    Ok, I am done for now. I am starting to ramble in my head.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Member #
    2539
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Royal Oak, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,187
    Liked
    420 times
    One word can, and should always, be a metaphor for relying on the cloud: MegaUpload. Yes, cloud storage is very useful, but I think you already agree that relying solely on it is just as idiotic as relying solely on your hard drive without making backups. If your cloud storage suddenly goes *POOF*, and some/many/most of your important files are there and nowhere else, well, you're well and truly screwed, as many of us have been with the MegaUpload takedown. And I'm not just talking about government takedowns, either. Companies go under, taking their servers with them. Internet/telecommuncations access fails. Remote servers fail. The cloud is fragile, and should not be relied upon without adequate contingency plans for failure. (Cloud services like Dropbox help to alleviate much of this, with its ability to sync with local folders on multiple computers. For example, I sync my Dropbox to my home, work, and laptop computers.)

    Point is, the cloud's best purpose is as one additional tool in your toolchest, used appropriately but wisely, and never relied upon as the sole area of storage for your data.
    Martin's Android devices:
    - Samsung Galaxy S3 with Quantum (CM 10.2 by PwnCakes193)
    - Asus Transformer TF101 with No-Name (CM 10.2 by josteink)
    - Motorola Atrix 4G with CM 7.2

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Member #
    3545
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    773
    Liked
    154 times
    Gmail is a type of cloud storage, and after my experience last weekend, I'm not impressed. In fact, I'm downright distrustful of the cloud now. While setting up a couple of new "folders", all my emails went poof.............. everything is gone!

  6. #6
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    28
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    I'm gonna butta yo bread!
    Posts
    8,142
    Liked
    602 times
    My paranoid side refuses to believe that storing personal and private information on a server somewhere is safe. I feel that backing-up my things on my external is good enough. If I get hacked, my fault; I've got no control over what happens to a cloud, though.

    From Monsta's Redpilled Atrix
    "Just come on over to the Droid side. Its fun and we have cookies " - Gerseppy
    "If the Atrix Forums came in liquid form, I would totally shoot this sweet stuff up. But for now, I'm stuck snorting it! But man it's a rush!! " - ME, the Monsta



    Stupid refers to lack of ability while Ignorant refers to lack of knowledge.


  7. #7
    Rescue Squad
    Member #
    7308
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    835
    Liked
    231 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MJPollard View Post
    One word can, and should always, be a metaphor for relying on the cloud: MegaUpload.
    I agree with your point, but MegaUpload I think is the poorest of the poor examples. It is easy to point the finger at them because they were the largest public file hosting site on the internet. However, they got nailed because of the illegal activity they were allowing to happen on their servers. It is my opinion that it was only a matter of time. "Secure" paid cloud storage solutions is what I was thinking about when I wrote my post, but did not express that.

    Quote Originally Posted by ManDroid View Post
    Gmail is a type of cloud storage, and after my experience last weekend, I'm not impressed. In fact, I'm downright distrustful of the cloud now. While setting up a couple of new "folders", all my emails went poof.............. everything is gone!
    I totally understand your sentiment. On the flip side, I have been using Google since it was in beta. I have seen a lot of their products come and go. Some were great, and I was sad to see them leave. Others were not so great and I don't miss them at all.

    How on earth did you lose ALL of your email?? Were you setting up the folders in the web mail?

    Quote Originally Posted by Im A Monsta View Post
    My paranoid side refuses to believe that storing personal and private information on a server somewhere is safe. I feel that backing-up my things on my external is good enough. If I get hacked, my fault; I've got no control over what happens to a cloud, though.

    From Monsta's Redpilled Atrix
    I lost my paranoia when I realized the first time I entered anything sensitive on the internet that it was no longer safe. For example: If you do internet banking, pay your utility bills online, buy something online...that nice little https:// at the top of the page gives some people a sense of security, but anything we do on the internet is traceable and in some cases actually rather easily accessible. It's only a matter of how much someone really wants the information. Sad but true.

    All in all, I agree.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Member #
    2539
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Royal Oak, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,187
    Liked
    420 times
    Quote Originally Posted by grenefroggie View Post
    I agree with your point, but MegaUpload I think is the poorest of the poor examples. It is easy to point the finger at them because they were the largest public file hosting site on the internet. However, they got nailed because of the illegal activity they were allowing to happen on their servers. It is my opinion that it was only a matter of time. "Secure" paid cloud storage solutions is what I was thinking about when I wrote my post, but did not express that.
    You're focusing on the legality, which is a distraction and irrelevant to my point, that being that cloud storage is fragile and out of your control. Sorry, but MegaUpload is a perfect example of that; the legal issues surrounding why it disappeared is irrelevant to the fact that it did disappear, without warning and without any opportunity for its users to retrieve their data. It doesn't matter if it's MegaUpload or DropBox or any kind of "secure" paid cloud storage: the cloud can vanish in the blink of an eye, taking your important data with it (and I really didn't think I needed to point out that there's no such thing as truly "secure" in the cloud). Your data is at more risk being in the cloud than it is on your local hard drive, and I'm sorry but that's a fact that can't be denied or explained away.
    Martin's Android devices:
    - Samsung Galaxy S3 with Quantum (CM 10.2 by PwnCakes193)
    - Asus Transformer TF101 with No-Name (CM 10.2 by josteink)
    - Motorola Atrix 4G with CM 7.2

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Member #
    12085
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Atwater, CA
    Posts
    170
    Liked
    28 times
    Well, I'm not paranoid of anything, other than electronic unpredictability. I'm an internet pirate & I rely on clouds as my ocean. I just happen to like my "booty" & spend quite a bit of time & resource to obtain it. I fear the complete & total loss of "peers" & shutdown of filesharing sites. & it makes me happy to hook my friends up with top-notch software & media for free. The terms "freeware" & "unlimited" data should be part of our constitution (& yes, if I catch anyone anywhere near my treasure, they will be shot). Yet more & more hidden terms, fees & limits are being imposed by the corporate "dealers". We only "hack" because we can.... hence these forums. I happen to think that streaming from a cloud is stupid, when you can own & keep the same material in less time basically for free (especially if you borrow your PC/phone & piggyback your signal). I find the most useful thing any cloud to be good for is providing rain in case of fire. "Mother" Nature doesn't charge or imply limits for her airwaves (unlike our meddling, overbearing "Uncle Sam'), but once the cloud is gone & you see a spark, you'll wish you'd have backed @ least a few drops of moisture in a vessel of some sort_
    ***FREEDUM***
    ""From my cold, dead hands!"

  10. #10
    Super Moderator
    Developer

    Member #
    3689
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NAND
    Posts
    1,024
    Twitter
    J_R3CONF1GUR3D
    Liked
    555 times
    This is a good thread!

    I have to say, I live in the cloud.


    Microsoft Azure and Amazon AWS services. They almost run the world. Take away Amazon-AWS and half the internet would fold up.


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-26-2012, 04:04 PM
  2. Matter of Opinion!!
    By Auxilium in forum Off-Topic Forum
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-04-2012, 07:50 PM