Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Your Phone History

This is a discussion on Your Phone History within the Off-Topic Forum forums, part of the Off-Topic Area category; I thought this was an interesting post in the forums at The Verge, and I was just wondering what you guys phone history is. Here's ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Your Phone History

Super Moderator
    Developer

Member #
    Twitter
    J_R3CONF1GUR3D
    Liked
    555 times

Your Phone History

I thought this was an interesting post in the forums at The Verge, and I was just wondering what you guys phone history is. Here's mine as follows... (I don't remember the years... just the phones. lol.)

To start off with, I actually DID have a bag-phone. You had to get it out, plug it into your cigarette adapter, wait for it to find a cell tower, pick up the corded handset and dial your number hoping that it would actually go through since airtime was REALLY freaking expensive. That was an AMPS analog phone. Pictured:

My next phone was a Motorola StarTac TDMA/AMPS dual-mode handset. I think the carrier at the time was Bellsouth Mobility... or it may have been before then. Not for sure. Pictured:

I had the StarTac for a long time until I got the Nokia 9210 Communicator. This was my first taste of a real smartphone. LOVED it. I remember people used to just glaze over around that phone... they were like WOW what is that thing?! Ahh... Symbian. Pictured:

I continued on with that one for quite a while until in 2004 I got my first Windows Mobile device, the HP iPAQ H6315 from T-Mobile. It was hideously slow and it came with an embryo of a detachable keyboard. I still to this day detest that phone. HATE it. Pictured:

Then shortly after that horrible phone, I came over to AT&T. I got the Audiovox PPC-4100 initially, and while similar to the HP iPAQ, it was worlds better. The only thing was that this was a GSM phone and GSM was still being built out over the existing TDMA network... so reception was spotty at best anywhere other than downtown ATL/Birmingham. Pictured:

My next phone from AT&T was the HP iPAQ Messenger hw6500. This was a pretty good phone. Never had too many issues with it and it was built like a brick. Pictured:

Now for this next one, it was my most nostalgic smartphone memory, aside from the Nokia communicator. It was the Cingular 8125, AKA the HTC Wizard. This was the phone where I got into modding and custom ROMs and overclocking... the whole XDA thing. It was pretty new, since XDA was originally created to be a community of O2 XDA users. The XDA is a whole product line from the UK Telecom "O2"... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O2_Xda

A
    fter there is where the water gets muddy. I really got into trading phones and then I had company phones/test phones/extras... so much so that I really don't even remember them all. Here are a few of the notables and the most recent ones I've been through...

Cingular 8525
    HTC Tilt
    HTC Tilt 2
    Motorola i850
    Some DoCoMo phone that I imported from Dynamism
    HTC G1 T-Mobile
    HTC Hero
    Nexus One - Short lived. Couldn't stand the multitouch bugs.
    OG Droid
    Droid X (Company phone from AT&T of all people... lmao)
    Skyrocket
    Pantech Burst (Hated that phone)
    Samsung Focus
    Focus Flash
    OG iPhone
    iPhone 3G
    iPhone 3GS
    iPhone 4
    Samsung Captivate - THE best phone I've ever owned. If it had a flash and NFC I'd still be using it. Wolfson + Voodoo Audio = thatsallfolks.jpg
    Motorola Backflip
    Motorola Atrix
    Nexus S - One of the best phones I've ever owned. Still pissed at myself for selling it.
    Galaxy Nexus - as a review phone for a week.

Currently, all I have is the Atrix, a Galaxy S II i777, and an iPhone 4S 64GB White. The Atrix is a dev phone, the GS2 is a daily driver that I traded someone an old iPhone 4 for. And the iPhone I currently have is used solely in my car's center console, hooked into the dock connector for music. lol. I still get free iPhones from AT&T as a previous contract perk until 2015. :/
    nalomo and Condor97 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    198 times
    Cingular 3125

Samsung Blackjack

Samsung Blackjack II

HTC Fuze

Motorola Atrix (Do I really need to add a picture )
    Dorian likes this.
    The human brain is amazing. It starts as soon as you wake up and stops as soon as you get work.
    "There's no 'i' in Phone"

Atrix(Retired) - ROOT, Unlocked Bootloader
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Asus Transformer Infinity

Super Moderator
    Developer

Member #
    Twitter
    J_R3CONF1GUR3D
    Liked
    555 times
    ^Ahh... I almost got the 3125 AKA the HTC Startrek. It looked cool but it didn't have touch.

Member #
    Liked
    420 times
    Alas, my history is nowhere near as varied; I just don't change phones very much. My first was an old "pay as you go" phone I picked up at 7-11. I don't even have it anymore and I don't remember what it was, that's how old it was. I replaced it with another PAYG phone, a Motorola, which I eventually had to replace because AT&T was phasing out its analog cell service. That's when I got my Motorola V3 RAZR flip-phone from Cingular, which I still have sitting in a drawer somewhere. That was a real workhorse of a phone, and built like a tank (or so it seemed to me), and I stuck with it for years until I finally decided it was time to jump on the smartphone bandwagon. That lead me to where I am now, with the Atrix 4G, which I got in March 2011. I'll be with it until I'm eligible for an upgrade next year, and truth be told, will probably stick with it until a phone comes out that really impresses me. As much of a technology geek as I am, I still tend to stick with what works for as long as I can, because I've really come to appreciate stability and reliability over having the Next New Shiny Object(tm).
    Martin's Android devices:
    - Samsung Galaxy S3 with Quantum (CM 10.2 by PwnCakes193)
    - Asus Transformer TF101 with No-Name (CM 10.2 by josteink)
    - Motorola Atrix 4G with CM 7.2

Member #
    Liked
    154 times
    My first was the bag phone pictured above. Supplied by the company I was working for in Houston. The battery was shot, so it only worked in the truck (they had lost the power supply).

Next, supplied by a different company I was working for was the Motorola brick... This phone was indeed a brick. Fell off my belt while on a 6 foot ladder several times, never hurt it.
    Name:  brick.png
Views: 4746
Size:  53.8 KB

Then, I became self-employed, and had to supply my own phone. I used a phone very similar to this one for quite a while...
    Name:  flip.png
Views: 2645
Size:  109.8 KB
    After that is a blur. None were anything special up until I decided to join the 21st century, and get a smartphone. My son gave me his Captivate when he left for Afghanistan. I used it for 10 days, then decided to get the Atrix.

Member #
    Liked
    198 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
    ^Ahh... I almost got the 3125 AKA the HTC Startrek. It looked cool but it didn't have touch.
    Yeah, that was before I got my first touch screen phone. Now I would have a hard time going back.

Quote Originally Posted by MJPollard View Post
    Alas, my history is nowhere near as varied; I just don't change phones very much. My first was an old "pay as you go" phone I picked up at 7-11. I don't even have it anymore and I don't remember what it was, that's how old it was. I replaced it with another PAYG phone, a Motorola, which I eventually had to replace because AT&T was phasing out its analog cell service. That's when I got my Motorola V3 RAZR flip-phone from Cingular, which I still have sitting in a drawer somewhere. That was a real workhorse of a phone, and built like a tank (or so it seemed to me), and I stuck with it for years until I finally decided it was time to jump on the smartphone bandwagon. That lead me to where I am now, with the Atrix 4G, which I got in March 2011. I'll be with it until I'm eligible for an upgrade next year, and truth be told, will probably stick with it until a phone comes out that really impresses me. As much of a technology geek as I am, I still tend to stick with what works for as long as I can, because I've really come to appreciate stability and reliability over having the Next New Shiny Object(tm).
    I hear you Martin. Ever since I started sending my son to a private school it's been less shiny objects for me. Guess my priorities changed as I got older.
    MJPollard likes this.
    The human brain is amazing. It starts as soon as you wake up and stops as soon as you get work.
    "There's no 'i' in Phone"

Atrix(Retired) - ROOT, Unlocked Bootloader
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Asus Transformer Infinity

Member #
    Liked
    49 times
    My first was an old nokia candy bar phone everyone had in the early 2000s with the snake game.

Next a couple of flip phones that I don't remember.

My first "smart" phone was the nokia e71x. This phone was so solid and it kept me away from iphone which I was extremely grateful for.

Then my beloved ATRIX.

Next.... moto nexus with jelly bean if the gods I don't believe in are good....

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Member #
    Liked
    177 times

Best phone ever. Solid!

Then atrix. You know what that looks like. I'll never go back. My next android phone may not be a Moto even though my atrix is solid, but I can't see myself using anything but android.

2 and 3 were my favs. That Toshiba was awesome. It had such a solid thunk while flipping. Satisfying. Miss that phone... I lit the black Kyocera slider on fire. Terrible phone. The Moto q was cool. It was windows based so you could go in and edit the registry to make it do stuff. The curve I bought when bb was cool, then I got the bold when I really should have bought the original Droid.

I also had some pretty awesome beepers. Remember beepers? Im only 26 and I probably left some phones out.
    Tapped from CM7.2 @ 1.3Ghz.
    Last edited by jetmech; 06-21-2012 at 09:02 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    67 times
    nokia 3310 - This phone was built to last. No matter the fall, it always came back to life.
    Name:  nokia-3310-troubleshooting.jpg
Views: 1123
Size:  8.9 KB

nokia 3650 - My first camera phone. Captured a lot of memories with this phone. Took me a while to get used to the keypad layout, but once I did, I could type with one hand and blindfolded.
    Name:  nokia_3650.jpg
Views: 1052
Size:  27.0 KB

nokia ngage qd - Thanks to this phone, not many a dull moment. Gaming was amazing for its time.
    Name:  297670_0_original.jpg
Views: 1386
Size:  21.6 KB

nokia 1100 - Back to the simplest basic of phones. The flashlight was very handy.
    Name:  Nokia-1100-01.jpg
Views: 1108
Size:  150.6 KB

nokia 1110 - When my 1100 got stolen, this was my cheapest and quickest replacement. I actually still have this one. Can't use it here in the US though.
    Name:  nokia-1110.jpg
Views: 1567
Size:  40.2 KB

nokia 6131 - Ah, T-Mobile. Not too many Nokia choices did you provide me at the time. This phone was the best you could offer, and I still enjoyed it.
    Name:  Nokia-6131.jpg
Views: 953
Size:  12.8 KB

nokia n82 - Newegg! This phone still has an amazing camera! And the xenon flash makes pictures look better day or night! I still have this phone and use it from time to time when I want to take good pictures.
    Name:  nokia-n82-05.jpg
Views: 1188
Size:  51.2 KB

nokia 5800 - The phone that was used in The Dark Knight! This phone was awesome. Then I made a mistake and sold it for the N97.
    Name:  nokia5800-tube.jpg
Views: 1083
Size:  33.0 KB

nokia n97 - Was this phone fun to use? Yes. I loved the keyboard. Definitely a well built phone. Now the phone's internals, that's another story. Even the CEO of Nokia admitted this phone could have been better. The best part though, free navigation.
    Name:  nokia-n97-00.jpg
Views: 872
Size:  48.3 KB

nokia e72 - Still own and love this phone. Everything about it was great. It is now my backup device for when things happen. Recently used it when I sent my Atrix to be repaired after I cracked the screen.
    Name:  nokia-e72-00.jpg
Views: 999
Size:  57.2 KB

motorola atrix 4g - After many years of using Nokia and the Symbian OS, I finally made the switch to Android. I do miss the camera and xenon flash of my N82. I miss the FM transmitter of my N97. And I miss the excellent PIM of the Nokia E72. Also, the free navigation.
    For those who don't have it anymore, just in case you forgot what it looks like:
    Name:  motorola-atrix-540x399.jpg
Views: 1011
Size:  50.3 KB

I don't regret making the switch to Android. Who knows what my next phone will be. What I do know is that my Atrix, being my first Android device, will always hold a special place in my heart.
    Dorian likes this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    495 times
    This is a cool thread.

My first phone was a series of calling cards that cost an arm and a leg. After that I had several flip phones that served their purpose but were unmemorable.

The first phone of note was the Samsung SYNC. It was a tough phone with some cool features including music player, bluetooth, camera, and memory card slot.

Name:  4263-main-medium-samsung-sync-sgh-a707.jpg
Views: 1156
Size:  30.4 KB

The next phone was the Samsung Solstice. It was my first touch screen phone. It was surprisingly incredibly tough.

Name:  SGHA887ZKAATT_PA-L_1.jpg
Views: 1047
Size:  34.1 KB

Of course next is the ATRIX, which has been an awesome and fun phone, and a good start for me in the smart phone arena. I am not sure what my next phone will be. I would LOVE a Galaxy Nexus, but like alot of us I think I am going to wait and see what comes next. Whatever it is, I am hoping it will be a Nexus.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads