Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Yet another Orange Noob...

This is a discussion on Yet another Orange Noob... within the Orange (UK) forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Carriers category; Handset upgrade time came around so this time I decided to go for a nice Android phone and after reading reviews, etc decided on the ...

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Yet another Orange Noob...

Handset upgrade time came around so this time I decided to go for a nice Android phone and after reading reviews, etc decided on the Atrix which arrived yesterday (although I've no idea what has happened to the free work & play kit which I thought was part of the upgrade deal?). Then I spent most of the day getting my phone contacts into it - it couldn't read the contacts on the old SIM from a Nokia 6280, the Atrix refused to transfer contacts from any of my other phones via Bluetooth and I finally found out it had to be in CSV format... Eventually I did this by exporting all the contacts from my Nokia N900 to VCF files, transferring these to a PC, signing up for a Gmail account and importing them into that one by one. After that the Atrix sync'd with my new Gmail account and all is now well.

Next hurdle was setting up email with various IMAP/POP mail accounts not listed in the email setup screen; eventually I found out from the Orange support website how to do this and I've set all these up. But here's my first question - how do I stop the phone retrieving email from my mail servers all the time? I have quite a few mail accounts and I'm concerned it's racking up my data usage. I've stopped lots of services in the Settings... Running Services menu but they all start up again if I turn the phone off and then on again. Do I have to root it to fix this permanently? There seems to be a lot of network-related services running which I've not seen on other phones.

Second question: I don't use any of the popular mail services like Yahoo, Gmail or any of the social networking stuff so it would be great if I could disable these for good. AIso I would like to enable/disable Internet connectivity when I want to (like I can on the Maemo-based N900) - currently the phone is switched off most of the time which isn't really what I want. Is it possible to do this on the Atrix?

Apart from these issues it's a very nice phone - I've installed LauncherPro and an ssh client so I'm all set to start using it in earnest.

cheers, Andy

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    Welcome to the forums, Andy!

I'll try to assist with some of the answers...

Email - It sounds like you're using the stock e-mail app that came on the phone, so you can set a single fetch schedule for all of your email accounts in Email settings. You can get to that one of two ways, either through the Email app or through Settings. You can open any of the Email accounts, tap the Menu button, tap E-Mail settings, Email delivery and then either set it for Push delivery or set the fetch schedule to your liking. You can also go to the main phone Settings, Battery & Data manager, Data Delivery, Email & Corporate Sync, Email delivery there. They are the same settings.

Running Services - You won't be able to keep services from running from that area. You could use the Task Manager's Auto-End list if you really want to try to keep them down. Or, to save on data, you could go back to the Data Delivery settings from above and choose to not have Background data on. You'll also notice a Data enabled option there as well which is you other question about turning off Data altogether. You can use this manual setting or grab a widget from the Market called Data Enabler Widget which puts the on/off control on your home screen.

For the apps you don't use, you can add those to the Task Manager Auto-end list if you want, or if you're looking into rooting the phone, you can freeze (with Titanium Backup Pro or Bloat Freezer) some of them without ill effects. Just be careful as some of them are integrated into the way the phone works. I would not recommend removing them after rooting as that will keep you from being able to install to the OTA update when we get it.

AtrixForums.com : My Anti-Drug : Above the iNfluence

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    646 times
    Since Das8nt cover most of everything you ask, I will just welcome you to this great forum of ours.
    Welcome to Android
    Atrix 4G Running CM9
    GNex Running JellyBelly JB 4.2 Custom
    Iconia A500 Running CM10
    Galaxy S3 Stock

Please feel free to PM me if you need any help, I'll get back to you as soon as I can..

Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    Welcome to the forum, good to see another UK Atrix user on here.

Firstly, the W&P Kit... Get on the phone to them and chase it up! I was given one with my contract and its a very nice bit of kit. Even if you don't use it to its full potential, the Dock is a much better way to charge your phone and have a nightstand clock/alarm.

Secondly, Data... Have a look online for '3G watchdog' and download the free version. You can monitor your data very easily if you set up your monthly allowance and bill date. It will warn you if you reach 75% or more, so you really can't go over it. Also 'Your Orange' is a good app for keeping track of your allowances and seeing how much you have used and how much is remaining.

The data usage doesn't have to a be a problem. I have a widget on my homescreen that allows me to turn it on or off by altering the APN details automatically. It basically turns the handset to receive calls and texts only. If you have WiFi at home then try to use it and keep the mobile data for times when you are out.

There are a lot of helpful and knowledgeable people on this forum, so feel free to ask more questions if you have any.
    Spreading the Android word across the UK with the help of my Atrix

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by das8nt View Post
    Welcome to the forums, Andy!
    Thank you!

I'll try to assist with some of the answers...

Email - It sounds like you're using the stock e-mail app that came on the phone, so you can set a single fetch schedule for all of your email accounts in Email settings. You can get to that one of two ways, either through the Email app or through Settings. You can open any of the Email accounts, tap the Menu button, tap E-Mail settings, Email delivery and then either set it for Push delivery or set the fetch schedule to your liking. You can also go to the main phone Settings, Battery & Data manager, Data Delivery, Email & Corporate Sync, Email delivery there. They are the same settings.
    Thanks a lot for that, I've got it switched to manual fetch now and will also try the 'sync on wi-fi only' option

Running Services - You won't be able to keep services from running from that area. You could use the Task Manager's Auto-End list if you really want to try to keep them down. Or, to save on data, you could go back to the Data Delivery settings from above and choose to not have Background data on. You'll also notice a Data enabled option there as well which is you other question about turning off Data altogether. You can use this manual setting or grab a widget from the Market called Data Enabler Widget which puts the on/off control on your home screen.
    Thanks for this too - I've changed these settings and also come across the data counter which I wasn't aware of. I downloaded & installed the Farproc Data Enabler Widget and according to the pull-down notifications screen, it's installed (although I haven't found the control yet!)

For the apps you don't use, you can add those to the Task Manager Auto-end list if you want, or if you're looking into rooting the phone, you can freeze (with Titanium Backup Pro or Bloat Freezer) some of them without ill effects.
    What does Auto-end actually do? And I suppose 'freezing' is the equivalent of disabling services in the boot-up scripts? I probably will root the phone eventually when I've got more used to Android (it's my first Android phone).

Just be careful as some of them are integrated into the way the phone works. I would not recommend removing them after rooting as that will keep you from being able to install to the OTA update when we get it.
    I won't do anything silly as I still want a functioning phone

Thanks for your comments, they've been a great help. I guess you're the "missing manual" Orange didn't supply with the phone, especially as there's a helluva difference between Android and Maemo (= Debian Linux really) on my other phone; although I don't feel in control of the Atrix O/S, there's a lot more to Android.

cheers & thanks,

Andy

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    Oops, I failed to notice you were in the UK. The Data Enabler widget might not be fully automatic until you get the Gingerbread update, but it should take you directly to the setting. Long press an open are of your home screen and choose Widgets to place it there.

AtrixForums.com : My Anti-Drug : Above the iNfluence

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by das8nt View Post
    Oops, I failed to notice you were in the UK. The Data Enabler widget might not be fully automatic until you get the Gingerbread update, but it should take you directly to the setting. Long press an open are of your home screen and choose Widgets to place it there.
    Yeah, I found it in the end (still learning a lot about Launcher Pro ) but it came up with a message saying 3rd party apps are not allowed to control data enabler so I installed the other one from Real Point and that works a treat!

cheers, Andy

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the welcome, I'm glad I found this forum.

Andy

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by daveyonthemove View Post
    Welcome to the forum, good to see another UK Atrix user on here.

Firstly, the W&P Kit... Get on the phone to them and chase it up! I was given one with my contract and its a very nice bit of kit. Even if you don't use it to its full potential, the Dock is a much better way to charge your phone and have a nightstand clock/alarm.
    I didn't get anywhere with them on the phone - the chap I spoke to knew nothing about the W&P deal. So I mailed them instead - they claim to answer email queries within 48 hours but I'm still waiting. I'll give them another call Monday.

Secondly, Data... Have a look online for '3G watchdog' and download the free version. You can monitor your data very easily if you set up your monthly allowance and bill date. It will warn you if you reach 75% or more, so you really can't go over it. Also 'Your Orange' is a good app for keeping track of your allowances and seeing how much you have used and how much is remaining.
    The 'Your Orange' app is slightly flawed in that if you have more than one phone on the same Orange account, you can only see the details for the primary phone registered with the account which in my case happens to be another phone. I'll see if I can swap them over (the website version of Your Orange allows you to select different phones). I'll go and get the 3G watchdog. Incidentally, my connection type mostly shows as H+ on my phone (sometimes it is 3G) - does H+ mean 4G?

The data usage doesn't have to a be a problem. I have a widget on my homescreen that allows me to turn it on or off by altering the APN details automatically. It basically turns the handset to receive calls and texts only. If you have WiFi at home then try to use it and keep the mobile data for times when you are out.
    I've got the 'use wi-fi when available' feature set up now & it works very well.

There are a lot of helpful and knowledgeable people on this forum, so feel free to ask more questions if you have any.
    You're dead right - there are a lot of knowledgeable people on here, makes me reallse how little I know! I'm completely new to Android (having used various Nokia phones and Maemo before) and it's been great fun finding my way around it (instead of getting on with some work).

cheers, Andy

Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    When i got my Orange handset from the store, I was informed that I would get the W&P kit free with the contract, even though i was a NEW customer. This was a mistake on his part, and after 2 weeks of asking customer service and speaking to various stores, I got the truth about the W&P kit being for upgrades only.
    This meant that i was mis sold a contract (on this occasion it was a genuine mistake by the salesman) and I spoke to the sales person who agreed that he had made a mistake and promised to try and help out.
    In the meantime I emailed the CEO of Orange/Tmobile's joint company 'Everything everywhere' and got an email back within 30 mins explaining that my complaint had been passed on and would be investigated. I had a call the same day from a very helpful lady who admitted that the fault was at their end, and that i could either cancel the contract with no cost and keep the handset, or keep the contract running and they would send the W&P kit that i was promised, so I opted to stay with the contract and receive the W&P kit.
    If you don't hear back from Orange customer care, let me know and I will PM you the email for the CEO so you can escalate the complaint.
    Spreading the Android word across the UK with the help of my Atrix

Remove Ads

Ads