Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

hspa+ disabled and down to hspa/3g on CM7

This is a discussion on hspa+ disabled and down to hspa/3g on CM7 within the Rescue Squad forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Support Forum category; hi all, love the forums. I'm a long time lurker :-) I just unlocked my bootloader and flashed cm7 a few days ago. Everything was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: hspa+ disabled and down to hspa/3g on CM7

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

hspa+ disabled and down to hspa/3g on CM7

hi all,

love the forums. I'm a long time lurker :-) I just unlocked my bootloader and flashed cm7 a few days ago. Everything was fantastic and normal to my knowledge. APN's were stock (or whatever came with cm7), and the included radios to download with the cm7 ROM.

Yesterday evening I put up the cm7 power control widget, including the 2g/3g toggle. As some of you may know (I didn't know at the time), that doesn't work! it turned it to 2g and greyed out the option to return to 3g/"4g" and went into a phone process FC cycle until I rebooted into restore mode. Apparently that's a known issue with cm7 across a bunch of phones. ANYWAY, I restored to my backup of the rom from earlier that day. Cleared the cache and dalvik cache, too. Well all seems to be good again except for the this: it doesn't get hspa+ anymore. my phone goes between the "H" sign and "3g" with the occasional "E" here and there. no H+ though. I checked my apn settings and even added a couple per recommendations from people online. No dice on restoring hspa+. I changed kernels because I heard it might help so i'm on faux123's 1.3ghz kernel. still not going back to hspa+. any help? thanks in advance!!

here's the settings I tried with my APN: Fix for AT&T User's Slow Data Speed's! (Correct APN settings) - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.combut with apn type "internet only" doesn't work - it boots me back to my self-made "at&t hsdpa" apn OR the default "ATT" apn unless I change the type to something else. I don't know if this is related to my biggest problem (hspa+ being disabled) or not but I thought it might be helpful :-)

Super Moderator
    Developer

Member #
    Twitter
    J_R3CONF1GUR3D
    Liked
    555 times
    The only difference in stock and CM7 is that CM7 treats HSPA+ connections just like HSDPA. CM7 doesn't cheat like AT&T did by adding H+ network indicators. Stock, the Atrix will tell you you're in an HSPA+ coverage area even when you're only in HSDPA coverage.

Your speed is still going to be there. It's just the network indicator is different.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Yes, but when I initially flashed the rom, it had me on hspa+ until that little toggling incident, and NEVER took me down to the 3g or H indicator. If it helps with the diagnosis, I restored to my backed up cm7 rom and flashed multiple different kernels with no luck. I even reinstalled the rom from scratch and it still didn't help, so I am back to my backed up rom

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    486 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
    The only difference in stock and CM7 is that CM7 treats HSPA+ connections just like HSDPA. CM7 doesn't cheat like AT&T did by adding H+ network indicators. Stock, the Atrix will tell you you're in an HSPA+ coverage area even when you're only in HSDPA coverage.

Your speed is still going to be there. It's just the network indicator is different.
    +1 to this, Dorian is exactly right.

If you need help, and I appear to be offline, shoot me a msg on Gtalk, or PM me and I'll respond as soon as I possibly can!!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Not to be rude, but I have a hard time believing that cm7 just doesn't "cheat" due to the fact that it said it, was on h+ before but not after I restored the rom post-toggle incident. Here's a Couple screenshots with some more insight. Thanks again for your help :-)

Attached Images Attached Images  

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Sorry, here is the other screenshot!

Attached Images Attached Images  

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    423 times
    I second Dorian. If you are worried about having changed a setting in the system from the widget (which I don't think you did with the restore). The only option I see you having to undo it is completely reinstalling CM7. You can do this if you feel like you get slower speeds and you are up for starting over, but I don't see it necessary.

My opinion.
    - Sam

I have much experience with unlocked bootloaders and custom ROMs on the original ATRIX. I will do my best to hold your hand through any problem, small or large, on any phone. Please open up a thread in the help section (or Rescue Squad section if your phone is in dire need) or PM me. I don't bite

Super Moderator
    Developer

Member #
    Twitter
    J_R3CONF1GUR3D
    Liked
    555 times
    1.) CM7 doesn't contain H+ network indicators in any of the UI frameworks. It's physically not there. It can't tell you that you're on an HSPA+ network by the network indicator on the status bar. If you can guarantee that you saw that indicator, then it's a software fluke and something didn't get erased when you flashed CM7... OR it could be a feature of a theme you're on.

2.) There are network states called DCH, HS-DSCH, FACH, PCH, and IDLE. Your phone and the network will cycle through those connection states depending on what you're doing on your device. You have a downlink channel and an uplink channel, then combinations of the two... in addition to connected IDLE mode. Without getting too technical... to conserve battery and network resources your device will step down to slower data services when you're not actively using mobile data (like when you're on WiFi). Then when you're using mobile data, the connection will step back up to full speed, or whatever the maximum speed your tower gives you. In 3G areas you can cycle through UMTS/HSDPA/HSPA. UMTS is the "3G" indicator. In HSPA enabled areas, your phone will show the "3G" indicator when your data connection is idle, as in when you're not browsing the web/checking email/using Twitter or Facebook/etc. When the connection steps up to HSDPA you get the "H" symbol. HSPA also uses the "H" symbol, but the only way you'll know the difference between HSDPA and HSPA is if you look in Settings>About Phone>Status then look under "Mobile Network Type".

G-Man likes this.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    486 times
    ^^^ Nicely said, Dorian - you the man, man!

If you need help, and I appear to be offline, shoot me a msg on Gtalk, or PM me and I'll respond as soon as I possibly can!!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Wow, thanks for the detailed response! I suppose something was improperly copied (or not copied at all) when I flashed cm7. I did after all flash that after having issues with redpill... very informative post! Hopefully someday I will have real hspa+ in my area and the indicator to tell me the good news...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads