Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Atrix ROM Manager issue. Failed to Boot 2 Starting in RSD mode.

This is a discussion on Atrix ROM Manager issue. Failed to Boot 2 Starting in RSD mode. within the Rescue Squad forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Support Forum category; Hey Guys, I'm new here, but I've had my Atrix 4G for quite some time now. I decided to root it last night using Pete's ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Atrix ROM Manager issue. Failed to Boot 2 Starting in RSD mode.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Atrix ROM Manager issue. Failed to Boot 2 Starting in RSD mode.

Hey Guys,

I'm new here, but I've had my Atrix 4G for quite some time now. I decided to root it last night using Pete's Motorola Tools. It went well and I have since been able to use apps that require root. However I am having issue utilizing ROM Manager. I am trying to make a backup so I can play with some different ROMs.

So I'll try to give as much detail as possible.

System version -- 4.5.91.MB860.ATT.en.US

Model number -- MB860

Android Version -- 2.3.4

Baseband -- N_01.77.30P

Kernel Version -- 2.6.32.9-00001-g41bc3e0fpgh48@ca25rhe87 #2

Build Number --- 4.5.91

So I installed ROM Manager last night and I had the same exact problem that I am still having. So I uninstalled, and re-installed ROM Manager. So this is exactly what I have done...
    1. Installed ROM Manager
    2. Pressed "Flash Clockworkmod Recovery."
    3. Selected "Motorola Atrix 4G."
    4. Clicked past the Wifi prompt.
    5. Pressed "Allow" for superuser access.
    6. Received "Successfully flashed Clockworkmod Recovery" message.
    7. Closed out of ROM Manager (just for good measure, I did not close it last time).
    8.Opened ROM Manager back up.
    9. Pressed the "Backup Current ROM".
    10. Phone restarts.
    11. Motorola logo comes up on screen.
    12. "Failed to boot 2" comes up next.
    13. "Starting in RSD Mode" follows that.
    14. Phone becomes frozen in this state.
    15. Pull Battery and re-install it.
    16. Phone restarts and acts as normal.

I have done this four times now, and it does the same thing each time. I am trying to work my way to a more functional phone, but I am stuck at this point so far. I had read about using a bootstrapper and/or flashing some items. However I thought the bootloader was unlocked from the last update. Incorrect?

Anyways, thanks for your help in advance.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    423 times
    The ATRIX still has an locked bootloader. When the 4.5.91 update was first leaked it came with the ability to unlock your bootloader, but you still had to run the fastboot oem unlock commands. The official update (still 4.5.91, but the OTA not leaked version) does not come with this ability, but you can flash what is known as a pudding file to the phone which allows for you to use the fastboot oem unlock commands and then you can continue to flash CWM and backup/flash ROMs. Follow my tutorial to unlocking the ATRIX bootloader and ask all the questions you can muster:
    [TUT]Unlocking Bootloader and Installing Custom ROMs
    - Sam

I have much experience with unlocked bootloaders and custom ROMs on the original ATRIX. I will do my best to hold your hand through any problem, small or large, on any phone. Please open up a thread in the help section (or Rescue Squad section if your phone is in dire need) or PM me. I don't bite

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2018 times
    Hello Eurosmashed, and welcome to Atrix Forums!

I'm afraid that I can't really help you much with your problem - I'm not a tech person. We do however have an excellent group of guys known as the Rescue Squad, and they specialize in problem solving. Hang on for awhile and one of them will swing by and give you a hand.

Welcome aboard!

-Mike
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock

GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.0.1 Rom

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    thanks kooliest! I'll work more on this later this evening.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    423 times
    Just beware (I talk about this in the tutorial), flashing the sbf to a phone with Gingerbread OS (like yours)..you will receive a soft brick. It will happen after the rsd lite flashing gets to 100% and FAILs, then it boots to a 'Failed to boot screen' with a bunch of information ending with 'Starting fastboot protocol'. This means your phone is in fastboot and ready to be unlocked with the fastboot package (fastboot oem unlock ####), once it is successfully unlocked your phone will boot like normal. This just catches people off guard and some people read over my warnings. It should all make sense after you read the tut.
    - Sam

I have much experience with unlocked bootloaders and custom ROMs on the original ATRIX. I will do my best to hold your hand through any problem, small or large, on any phone. Please open up a thread in the help section (or Rescue Squad section if your phone is in dire need) or PM me. I don't bite

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Great, I look forward to it. I've enjoyed having this phone, but it has become a bore day in and day out. Also, since best buy won't warranty my phone in a satisfactory way since the haptic touch vibrate has gone, It's prime time to start messing with this phone.

And thanks for the warm welcome UltraDroid.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    423 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurosmashed View Post
    Great, I look forward to it. I've enjoyed having this phone, but it has become a bore day in and day out. Also, since best buy won't warranty my phone in a satisfactory way since the haptic touch vibrate has gone, It's prime time to start messing with this phone.

And thanks for the warm welcome UltraDroid.
    I hope all goes well please don't make any uncertain decisions without asking here. And if you feel time is of the essence you can pm me and my phone will tell me.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
    - Sam

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Well I followed the tutorial on unlocking. With Sam's help my phone is unlocked. Thank you very much sir. However, I am stuck at the ROM installation. Following the tutorial I eventually try to go into Android Recovery. Once I am there I just get a screen with the Android guy and an exclamation point in a triangle. I can only get out of that screen with a battery pull. But the phone works, im typing on it now. But I am tired, so I'm giving it up for the evening.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Twitter
    golfer_mfr
    Liked
    677 times
    Reflash CWM
    Please adhere to the Atrix Forum's Rules of Conduct

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    423 times
    Sorry I didn't get back to your last PMs. Try reflashing (make sure you fastboot erase recovery) and if it doesn't work you'll have to root and delete a small system file which will let you overwrite your CWM. try reflashing normally though first.
    - Sam

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads