Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

rear camera/camcorder (black screen preview) + Flash not working

This is a discussion on rear camera/camcorder (black screen preview) + Flash not working within the Rescue Squad forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Support Forum category; similar problem as been previously posted...however seems to be a combo issue with camera + flash (possibly rooting from the battery?) I've been searching everywhere ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: rear camera/camcorder (black screen preview) + Flash not working

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

rear camera/camcorder (black screen preview) + Flash not working

similar problem as been previously posted...however seems to be a combo issue with camera + flash (possibly rooting from the battery?)
    I've been searching everywhere online, posted once in a much older post, but decided to post my own since no other thread was exactly like mine and none has seen action in some time (or has a solution that worked for me).

Havent modded the phone at all. Did a factory reset via the android recovery menu to no avail. Started having problems with the phone overheating (near the camera/LED area). Would do a battery pull, let it cool down, and then restart with no problems...UNTIL the last time it happened. Now the phone runs slower, and the rear camera and flash are not working.

PROBLEMS:
    1. rear camera (for still photos and video) is not working. Pull up either app (stock or 3rd party) and all I get is a black screen preview. I can select the front-camera...and after a delay the phone will first ask me if i want to force close or wait on the app since it's taking time to load...and after a few more seconds after selecting "wait", the front camera comes up.
    2. rear flash doesn't turn on. Neither with the camera/camcorder flash "on" option or with any 3rd party flashlight app.

Please help. Out of warranty, as of literally a week.

Do I just need new stock camera apks? or is there something else wrong, seeing as how the Flash isn't working either?
    Thanks in advance

current phone info:
    MB860 (AT&T US phone. Currently in Taiwan tho)
    system vers: 4.5.141
    android vers: 2.3.6

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    And yes, sorry failed to mentioned tried the clear data (since clear cache is not avail). Also tried the clear cache via android recovery menu too...both didnt do much beside delete some media

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    Unfortunately, I believe it's a hardware failure for some reason. The heating up and overall failure of the camera and flash that that case very strong. Another user replaced their camera after a similar occurrence in this thread: Need help disabling primary camera.

Sorry to say that I don't think any software will help this. I wish you luck with it, though.
    benzis likes this.

AtrixForums.com : My Anti-Drug : Above the iNfluence

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by das8nt View Post
    Unfortunately, I believe it's a hardware failure for some reason. The heating up and overall failure of the camera and flash that that case very strong. Another user replaced their camera after a similar occurrence in this thread: Need help disabling primary camera.

Sorry to say that I don't think any software will help this. I wish you luck with it, though.
    thanks das8nt, i
    m not so sure if it's a hardware issue as of yet. I dont have any ghost burning or anything else wrong with the phone. The phone started to overheat almost immediately after i took a video (with front camera). I wonder if there's a corrupted file somewhere or if there's somewhere internal (software/program) that is blocking the "connection" to the entire section of the flash/camera. Also, in comparison to the other user's remarks/fix I dont have a problem bringing up the front camera...it just takes a while for it to show up.

I wonder if it's possible a corrupted program or file is preventing the phone from accessing the rear camera. Any original camera apks or files I can reinstall?

Thanks again in advance. All advice is helpful!

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    Quote Originally Posted by benzis View Post
    thanks das8nt, i
    m not so sure if it's a hardware issue as of yet. I dont have any ghost burning or anything else wrong with the phone. The phone started to overheat almost immediately after i took a video (with front camera). I wonder if there's a corrupted file somewhere or if there's somewhere internal (software/program) that is blocking the "connection" to the entire section of the flash/camera. Also, in comparison to the other user's remarks/fix I dont have a problem bringing up the front camera...it just takes a while for it to show up.

I wonder if it's possible a corrupted program or file is preventing the phone from accessing the rear camera. Any original camera apks or files I can reinstall?

Thanks again in advance. All advice is helpful!
    It might be worth a shot. Here's a download link to the BlurCamera.apk and .odex.: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/58394793/At...TT_236_Cam.zip . You'll need root to place both of them in the /system/app/ folder, overwriting the originals, and then set the permissions to match the other files in that folder.

You could also just flash the 2.3.6 / 4.5.141 SBF, essentially overwriting the entire /system. You can follow the guide here for that: [HOW TO] Use RSD Lite to Flash a SBF File - Motorola Atrix

Good luck!
    benzis likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    AFAIK, unless the flash was left on with a flashlight app, there's nothing that should be heating up around the camera area. Digital cameras don't produce heat like that. If it was a software problem, you'd have the motherboard/processor heating up, not the camera.

Your issue sounds identical to the one I had with my wife's phone. My thread has a link to a $14 replacement camera part that is OEM and directions can be found by searching google for atrix tear down. I successfully fixed it for $20 (parts + phone tools) and about two hours (labor and research). Couldn't be simpler if you can pay attention to detail.
    benzis likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by das8nt View Post
    It might be worth a shot. Here's a download link to the BlurCamera.apk and .odex.: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/58394793/At...TT_236_Cam.zip . You'll need root to place both of them in the /system/app/ folder, overwriting the originals, and then set the permissions to match the other files in that folder.

You could also just flash the 2.3.6 / 4.5.141 SBF, essentially overwriting the entire /system. You can follow the guide here for that: [HOW TO] Use RSD Lite to Flash a SBF File - Motorola Atrix

Good luck!
    Hey das8nt, any programs bust recommended for rooting? I am brand new at this, and I read your warning on the Flashing a SBF, so let me try the overwriting the original files first. Im not sure if I already have a root system/app...any recommendations?

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by seabass View Post
    Thank you seabass sir. I actually have your walkthru up already from before...as a very last resort to open and mess the actual installing of the phone components. I figure, software -> flashing SBF -> hard phone components...

least risk -> most

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    Quote Originally Posted by benzis View Post
    Hey das8nt, any programs bust recommended for rooting? I am brand new at this, and I read your warning on the Flashing a SBF, so let me try the overwriting the original files first. Im not sure if I already have a root system/app...any recommendations?
    If you're not already rooted, you can follow the guide for 2.3.4/2.3.6 Stock/Locked stickied at the top of the Hacks section here in the forums.

Then you might look at using ES File Explorer or Super Manager for a root file explorer. I actually recommend Root Explorer over all others as its more straight forward and streamlined, but it's not free either.

Sent from my rooted Atrix 2 via Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads