Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Cannot get Atrix 4g into ClockworkMod Recovery mode

This is a discussion on Cannot get Atrix 4g into ClockworkMod Recovery mode within the Rescue Squad forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Support Forum category; I just acquired an Atrix AT&T unlocked 4g so I am ne to this site. It was running 2.3.6. I was able to sucessfully root ...

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By das8nt
  • 1 Post By das8nt
  • 1 Post By das8nt

Thread: Cannot get Atrix 4g into ClockworkMod Recovery mode

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Cannot get Atrix 4g into ClockworkMod Recovery mode

I just acquired an Atrix AT&T unlocked 4g so I am ne to this site. It was running 2.3.6. I was able to sucessfully root it. I have loaded Clockwork recovery numerous times using fastboot and it appears to load each time. When I go to "android recovery" and start it, if I press the power button nothing happens but when I push the middle between the vol. up and down I get Android Stock Recovery, not CWM. All instructions say to press the "power" button but nothing happens. To make matter worse, the first time I did it I did not realize it was not CWM and said "update from SD card" and not "install from SDcard" so I wiped out the factory and cache so now I have a device with no ROM on it. Does anyone know how to access CWM, if I can do that I can load a custom ROM. Failing that, is there a way to reload the AT&T ROM. Do they have a site where you can do a restore. I am new to the Atrix so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2015 times
    Hello JK, and welcome to Atrix Forums.

I need you to hang on for awhile and one of our Rescue Squad guys will be by to give you a hand with the problem.
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock

GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.0.1 Rom

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jk0373 View Post
    I just acquired an Atrix AT&T unlocked 4g so I am ne to this site. It was running 2.3.6. I was able to sucessfully root it. I have loaded Clockwork recovery numerous times using fastboot and it appears to load each time. When I go to "android recovery" and start it, if I press the power button nothing happens but when I push the middle between the vol. up and down I get Android Stock Recovery, not CWM. All instructions say to press the "power" button but nothing happens. To make matter worse, the first time I did it I did not realize it was not CWM and said "update from SD card" and not "install from SDcard" so I wiped out the factory and cache so now I have a device with no ROM on it. Does anyone know how to access CWM, if I can do that I can load a custom ROM. Failing that, is there a way to reload the AT&T ROM. Do they have a site where you can do a restore. I am new to the Atrix so any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Hi and welcome.

When you say unlocked, did it say "unlocked" when the phone booted? Was the phone new or owned by an individual? If it was new, unlocked likely meant unlocked so you could use it on other networks, not bootloader unlocked.

When you went to load the custom recovery did you erase recovery first?

What did you wipe to clear the ROM? Nothing in the stock recovery would erase the /system and OS.

Was there a custom ROM on it before, or just stock?

Sent from my Atrix HD MB886 using Tapatalk 2
    jk0373 likes this.

AtrixForums.com : My Anti-Drug : Above the iNfluence

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the quick reply. Here are the answers to your questions.

It says unlocked at the top of the screen when booting. It was owned by an individual and was advertised to work on any carrier. Is there a way to determine if the bootloader is locked?

Yes I did a "fastboot erase recovery"

I did a "wipe data/factory reset" and a "wipe cache partition". When the phone boot up and I try to open it(sliding the lock) nothing happens and when I connect it to a PC it only shows 5 folders and none of them seem to related to the os.

It was a stock AT&T 2.3.6 ROM

Any help is great. Thanks

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    Thanks for the quick reply. Here are the answers to your questions.

It says unlocked at the top of the screen when booting. It was owned by an individual and was advertised to work on any carrier. Is there a way to determine if the bootloader is locked?

Yes I did a "fastboot erase recovery"

I did a "wipe data/factory reset" and a "wipe cache partition". When the phone boot up and I try to open it(sliding the lock) nothing happens and when I connect it to a PC it only shows 5 folders and none of them seem to related to the os.

It was a stock AT&T 2.3.6 ROM

Any help is great. Thanks
    If the text "Unlocked" is in the upper left corner when booting, the the bootloader IS unlocked.

There's a file in /system/etc/ called install_recovery.sh that may need to be deleted for the custom recovery to stick. You need root to remove it.

I'm not sure what caused the issue with not being able to swipe to unlock, but it sounds like you may need to start fresh.

Since you're unlocked, you have two options to proceed:

1. Use fastboot to erase the system, boot, recovery and cache, perform a fastboot -w and then install the new recovery and ROM. Erasing the system will kill that recovery file from above. Make sure you load the needed recovery file and ROM files on your microSD before trying this.

2. If you just want stock, then you can flash the AT&T 4.5.141 SBF via RSD Lite. From there you could flash the unlock/pudding file again and start the process over again if desired.

Just as a side note, unless you're running a specific app/pc program then you won't be able to see OS related files from a USB connection.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2
    jk0373 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    das8nt, thanks for the quick reply. I would like to try option 1 and am hoping that you will provide guidance. I will lay out the procedure and if you can make corrections, edits, I would greatly appreciate it. From what you have said I believe I woiuld:

Step 1. go to fastboot. " fastboot erase system" "fastboot erase boot" "fastboot erase recovery" fastboot erase cache". fastboot -w
    "fastboot reboot"

Step 2. Which recovery program would you recommend. How would I load the "recovery program" if it is on the SD card and I do not have access to"install from SD card". What I did before was to load it using fastboot "fastboot ". Please advise

3. Which ROM would you recommend I use? Once I have access to "install from sdcard" I should be ok.

Thanks again for the help.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    UPDATE: I played around and was able to restore to stock. It still says unlocked. I was able to root. I downloaded ROM manager and was able to flash clockworkMod Recovery and reboot into recovery where I see the right menu. However, when I put in the sd card and do the same thing, I get the triangle with exclamation and android figure. Same result when I do it using android recovery. Any thoughts as to why it won't work when sdcard installed? Thanks

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    das8nt, thanks for the quick reply. I would like to try option 1 and am hoping that you will provide guidance. I will lay out the procedure and if you can make corrections, edits, I would greatly appreciate it. From what you have said I believe I woiuld:

Step 1. go to fastboot. " fastboot erase system" "fastboot erase boot" "fastboot erase recovery" fastboot erase cache". fastboot -w
    "fastboot reboot"

Step 2. Which recovery program would you recommend. How would I load the "recovery program" if it is on the SD card and I do not have access to"install from SD card". What I did before was to load it using fastboot "fastboot ". Please advise

3. Which ROM would you recommend I use? Once I have access to "install from sdcard" I should be ok.

Thanks again for the help.
    UPDATE: I played around and was able to restore to stock. It still says unlocked. I was able to root. I downloaded ROM manager and was able to flash clockworkMod Recovery and reboot into recovery where I see the right menu. However, when I put in the sd card and do the same thing, I get the triangle with exclamation and android figure. Same result when I do it using android recovery. Any thoughts as to why it won't work when sdcard installed? Thanks
    Sorry for the late reply; it's been quite a busy day, as usual lately.

In response to your first post, yes you had everything correct, except you didn't need the reboot step. I was incorrect about needing the recovery on your SD Card; Fastboot install was what you needed, as you stated.

I recommend romracer's recovery on XDA first and the official CWM in Rom Manager second, but romracer readily provides the.img file you need for fastboot flashing.

How did you restore stock? what method and which file did you use?

If you're rooted, have you tried to delete the install_recovery.sh file and reinstall recovery again? You should delete it with root and immediately reboot into fastboot to reflash recovery OR delete it and use Rom Manager to flash recovery and reboot. I'm guessing the Sd Card being reinserted is just a coincidence to the install_recovery.sh file taking over on another reboot.

ROM's are very much a personal taste. I have NottachTrix on my A1, but many other use CM7 based ROMs. I use the Webtop occasionally, so I stuck with a ROM that supported it.
    jk0373 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for your reply. What I did was go back to the stock recovery and do factory reset two times and it finally brought me back to the stock ROM.
    I then went thru the root process and was successful.
    I just deleted the .sh file as you suggested and used ROM manager to flash recovery and it worked.(yea).
    I had loaded a ROM called AURA and was able to flash it. Looks like I am good to go.

I did notice one thing. At the top of the screen where the battery is I have what looks like a SD card with a red exclamation mark. Do you know what that means. I have a Micro sd card installed but if I go into "files" I can see both the internal and external card. Any thoughts.

I really want to thank you for your invaluable assistance. It was great.

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    Thanks for your reply. What I did was go back to the stock recovery and do factory reset two times and it finally brought me back to the stock ROM.
    I then went thru the root process and was successful.
    I just deleted the .sh file as you suggested and used ROM manager to flash recovery and it worked.(yea).
    I had loaded a ROM called AURA and was able to flash it. Looks like I am good to go.

I did notice one thing. At the top of the screen where the battery is I have what looks like a SD card with a red exclamation mark. Do you know what that means. I have a Micro sd card installed but if I go into "files" I can see both the internal and external card. Any thoughts.

I really want to thank you for your invaluable assistance. It was great.
    You're quite welcome.

I'm glad it ended up working out.

The error is either on the SD card or the SIM. Do you have mobile data working OK?

If you power down and remove the SD card and power up again does the warning go away?

I'm assuming there's no explanation when pulling down the Notification bar?

If removing the SD card removes the error, then you might try backing up the data on the card and reformatting it.

Sent from my Atrix HD MB886 using Tapatalk 2

Ads