Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

User title poll...part ONE

This is a discussion on User title poll...part ONE within the Site Polls forums, part of the Atrix News & Site News category; Today I received a PM from one of our active members that brought up a very good point. With the recent outburst of post vomiting, ...

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: User title poll...part ONE

Member #
    Liked
    547 times

User title poll...part ONE

Today I received a PM from one of our active members that brought up a very good point. With the recent outburst of post vomiting, the very idea of "custom user titles" based on post counts is now threatened. A member that goes on a posting binge can potentially have a user title of, for example, "Atrix Master"; while a member who only posts when he has something helpful or useful to post can get lost with a user title of "Atrix novice". As newcomers often look to post counts as an indicator of knowledge (rightly or wrongly), should we reinforce that with these titles?

So, given this very valid point, part one of the poll is this: Are custom user titles based on post counts a good idea?
    das8nt and UltraDroid like this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    602 times
    If we can slow the over-load of unnecessary posts down. Absolutely.
    "Just come on over to the Droid side. Its fun and we have cookies " - Gerseppy
    "If the Atrix Forums came in liquid form, I would totally shoot this sweet stuff up. But for now, I'm stuck snorting it! But man it's a rush!! " - ME, the Monsta

Stupid refers to lack of ability while Ignorant refers to lack of knowledge.

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    A very valid point, indeed. I still think they're a good idea, possibly, but that would mean there might have to be some type of... enforcement for post-whoring??
    G-Man likes this.

AtrixForums.com : My Anti-Drug : Above the iNfluence

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    602 times
    It would seem that something of that nature would need to be implemented, if status were to represent helpful and knowledgeable posts.
    "If the Atrix Forums came in liquid form, I would totally shoot this sweet stuff up. But for now, I'm stuck snorting it! But man it's a rush!! " - ME, the Monsta

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Twitter
    golfer_mfr
    Liked
    677 times
    The number of posts made is, in no way, indicative of anything but frequent posting or long time member. It does tend to take on a "race" to get to the next milestone for many.

"post vomiting" ... poi-fect!
    das8nt and UltraDroid like this.
    Please adhere to the Atrix Forum's Rules of Conduct

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    Quote Originally Posted by carl_h View Post
    The number of posts made is, in no way, indicative of anything but frequent posting or long time member. It does tend to take on a "race" to get to the next milestone for many.

"post vomiting" ... poi-fect!
    Very true, but in some cases helpfulness and post count can go hand-in-hand; even with high post counts.

AtrixForums.com : My Anti-Drug : Above the iNfluence

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    602 times
    So.. You're for it or against it?

I feel that we have a lot of conversation in off-topic sections and games, that it's hard to make every post "knowledgeable and helpful".
    carl_h likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    What about a unique tag also identifying the "keyboard dissentary(sp?)" To be voted on by the mods and would apply for a short time to abusers. Could make it humorous instead of inflammatory.

Sent from my Rooted Gingerbread 2.3.4 ver. 4.5.91 Atrix using Tapatalk
    carl_h and G-Man like this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2018 times
    Quote Originally Posted by das8nt View Post
    Very true, but in some cases helpfulness and post count can go hand-in-hand; even with high post counts.
    Oh, I agree 100%, and this man (quoted above) is the perfect example of that!

-Mike
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock

GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.0.1 Rom

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Twitter
    golfer_mfr
    Liked
    677 times
    Quote Originally Posted by das8nt View Post
    True dat, but I still wouldn't base the post count as a basis for a custom name that denoted anything more than a playful designation ... i.e. not a jedi-master just because they posted LOL 10,000 times.

I'm neither for nor against it. I personally take the number of posts with a grain of salt when deciding on the the value of the comment. Most of us who hang around a forum for any length of time KNOW who is a valued resource to listen to and who isn't. The new people, however, might tend to rely on post count. Not really an issue, though, as most of the time there is verification or dispute of any comments made by other members.

Post count does have its place and I think most people understand that "it is what it is"
    Last edited by carl_h; 07-15-2011 at 05:46 PM.
    vad1913 likes this.
    Please adhere to the Atrix Forum's Rules of Conduct

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads