Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Acceptable data limit

This is a discussion on Acceptable data limit within the AT&T (US) forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Carriers category; I've come to the conclusion that staying under 10GB data usage will keep you off AT&Ts radar. I just recently hit 10GB and almost immediately ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Acceptable data limit

I've come to the conclusion that staying under 10GB data usage will keep you off AT&Ts radar. I just recently hit 10GB and almost immediately received a text message saying:

"AT&T Free Msg: Did you know tethering your Smartphone to a computer requires a tethering plan? Pls call 866-975-0004 for details or visit att.com/dataplans."

I've never once tethered using the provided option on the phone. I'm rooted and use barnacle when I do. Probably 7GB of my usage this month comes from downloading things on my phone off torrent, not tethering.

P.S. I've had the unlimited data plan for almost 5 years now.
    Last edited by flip3d; 09-28-2011 at 03:44 PM.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    423 times
    You are talking about illegally tethering data limit. If so that is an interesting find, wonder if it holds true for all users.
    - Sam

I have much experience with unlocked bootloaders and custom ROMs on the original ATRIX. I will do my best to hold your hand through any problem, small or large, on any phone. Please open up a thread in the help section (or Rescue Squad section if your phone is in dire need) or PM me. I don't bite

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I'm just thinking 10GB is when they start accusing people of tethering. I can do 10GB without tethering at all. Do they really know that I'm doing it?

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    423 times
    I could too It's just easier to do with tethering for those that do, and if someone who doesn't know tethering gets this message it will make no sense to them (it isn't like an accusation or anything). And people that are illegally tethering will feel like AT&T is watching them.

Now whether they can tell or not I'm not sure..I know there is a certain iPhone method that is detectable..
    - Sam

I have much experience with unlocked bootloaders and custom ROMs on the original ATRIX. I will do my best to hold your hand through any problem, small or large, on any phone. Please open up a thread in the help section (or Rescue Squad section if your phone is in dire need) or PM me. I don't bite

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    602 times
    I read a user claiming they used it for maybe 5 minutes and he received a letter?

Posted using Tapatalk on Monsta's sexy Atrix
    "Just come on over to the Droid side. Its fun and we have cookies " - Gerseppy
    "If the Atrix Forums came in liquid form, I would totally shoot this sweet stuff up. But for now, I'm stuck snorting it! But man it's a rush!! " - ME, the Monsta

Stupid refers to lack of ability while Ignorant refers to lack of knowledge.

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Im A Monsta View Post
    I read a user claiming they used it for maybe 5 minutes and he received a letter?

Yeah, I believe we're about to see this more and more and I don't think the amount of data is going to matter. There have been a few users recently that all say that they barely used any data and got the warning.

sent from my MotoXoom via Tapatalk

AtrixForums.com : My Anti-Drug : Above the iNfluence

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    602 times
    It's not really a warning, though, is it? Don't they change your plan when they send that letter?

"If the Atrix Forums came in liquid form, I would totally shoot this sweet stuff up. But for now, I'm stuck snorting it! But man it's a rush!! " - ME, the Monsta

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Twitter
    @nakdea
    Liked
    765 times
    Release the Crackin!!!

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

^ nexus 5 .
    galaxy s 3 . optimus g . nexus 4 . atrix

fin.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    602 times
    Lol!

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Okay. Update.

Got a letter saying they were going to change my data plan this month if I continued to tether. I curbed my usage this month and havent yet hit 10gb.
    I called today and asked them to prove that I was tethering and asked how they figure out that I am. After some bs, ive concluded that they have no idea. She said I wasnt tethering this month and they wont change my plan.
    You can guess what ive been doing since the start of this month. I just havent hit 10gb yet.
    Next month I plan to download heavily (aiming for 250gb) and when they ask me about it, I know they will, im gonna say ive been streaming netflix and downloading files off my schools intranet, both which are perfectly legal according to the acceptable use policy.
    Last edited by flip3d; 10-13-2011 at 01:08 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads