Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

At&t drops bid for t-mobile

This is a discussion on At&t drops bid for t-mobile within the AT&T (US) forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Carriers category; AT&T said Monday that it is ending its $39 billion bid to buy T-Mobile USA after facing fierce government objections.The cellphone giant said that the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: At&t drops bid for t-mobile

Member #
    Twitter
    red_foxx15
    Liked
    13 times

At&t drops bid for t-mobile

AT&T said Monday that it is ending its $39 billion bid to buy T-Mobile USA after facing fierce government objections.The cellphone giant said that the actions of the government to block the deal do not change the challenges of the wireless phone industry, which it says requires more airwaves, known as spectrum, to expand.
    This makes me curious about the future of T-Mobile since its owners have stated they want out of the game in the US.

more of the story follows with link to original article from USA Today

LOS ANGELES AT&T said Monday that it is ending its $39 billion bid to buy T-Mobile USA after facing fierce government objections.The cellphone giant said that the actions of the government to block the deal do not change the challenges of the wireless phone industry, which it says requires more airwaves, known as spectrum, to expand.

The deal would have solved that problem for a time, and without it, "customers will be harmed and needed investment will be stifled," AT&T said in a statement.
    It called on the government to quickly approve its purchase of unused spectrum from Qualcomm Inc. and come up with legislation to meet the nation's long-term needs.
    AT&T, the nation's second-largest wireless carrier behind Verizon Wireless, faces paying Deutsche Telekom $3 billion in cash and may have to enter into a roaming agreement with Deutsche Telekom, while transferring it the rights to spectrum it doesn't need for the rollout of its planned, next-generation "4G" network.

AT&T's purchase of T-Mobile from Deutsche Telekom of Germany would have made it the largest cellphone company in the U.S. T-Mobile is currently the fourth-largest.

The Justice Department sued to block the merger on Aug. 31, saying it would reduce competition and lead to higher prices.
    Last month, the companies withdrew their application to the Federal Communications Commission after its chairman also opposed the deal.

AT&T DROPS BID FOR T-MOBILE - USA TODAY

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    602 times
    I'll be interested in their future as well.. I guess time will tell! I thought ATT was very adamant about this merger? Guess they gave up..

Posted using Tapatalk on Monsta's sexy Atrix
    "Just come on over to the Droid side. Its fun and we have cookies " - Gerseppy
    "If the Atrix Forums came in liquid form, I would totally shoot this sweet stuff up. But for now, I'm stuck snorting it! But man it's a rush!! " - ME, the Monsta

Stupid refers to lack of ability while Ignorant refers to lack of knowledge.

Member #
    Twitter
    red_foxx15
    Liked
    13 times
    They fought till after the point that it was reasonable to continue imo. I really would love for AT&T to get their hands on T-Mobiles towers in my area. The main thing I hope doesn't happen is sprint comes in and buys the company. I honestly found it wrong for sprint to have any say in the matter since they were looking to buy T-Mobile right before AT&T put in their bid

Sent from my ATRIX

Member #
    Liked
    420 times
    While I'd be sad to see T-Mobile exit the market, thereby decreasing competition and choices, I'd be even more sad to see it decreased by having one entity (AT&T) get even bigger. Having the market consolidated into fewer and fewer players is never good for the consumer; as it is, we're already more or less in that situation already, with AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon being the only major players remaining, the rest (MetroPCS, T-Mobile, etc.) being small fish in a very big pond.
    Martin's Android devices:
    - Samsung Galaxy S3 with Quantum (CM 10.2 by PwnCakes193)
    - Asus Transformer TF101 with No-Name (CM 10.2 by josteink)
    - Motorola Atrix 4G with CM 7.2

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    231 times
    I think AT&T (and other commercial companies) are creating a false sense of alarm saying that we are running out of "airwaves" or frequency as I call it. How many companies out there own LARGE amounts of unused frequency they are just squatting on? I really am not one for letting the government do much of anything, including managing said "airwaves". There really needs to be an organization, similar to ARIN, but a little better organized. ARIN is letting companies squat on IP space in pretty much the same way. Point being, there isn't so much a shortage, IMHO, as much as big business creating the scare.

Oh, and AT&T doesn't need to own T-Mobile. That's just my opinion. T-Mobile provides a cheaper alternative (in most cases) to Ma Bell and Verizon.

Member #
    Liked
    420 times
    Quote Originally Posted by grenefroggie View Post
    Oh, and AT&T doesn't need to own T-Mobile. That's just my opinion. T-Mobile provides a cheaper alternative (in most cases) to Ma Bell and Verizon.
    Exactly. Ma Bell was broken up for a reason, something that's been largely negated now with AT&T consolidating most of what Ma Bell used to be. Hell, I wouldn't even be on AT&T mobile anyway if they hadn't bought Cingular. Of course, I never would've had the Atrix 4G if I weren't on AT&T, so...

Member #
    Twitter
    red_foxx15
    Liked
    13 times
    But cingular bought AT&T mobile. I would have liked AT&T to get the towers and such to make a network that would rival verizons quicker but I found out some of the possible damages to a regional provider here could have took and it started to sway me some. However after seeing what sprint did to nextel I would rather them not get T-Mobile

Sent from my ATRIX

Member #
    Liked
    420 times
    Quote Originally Posted by red.foxx15 View Post
    But cingular bought AT&T mobile.
    Did they? Could be, it's been a while and my memory isn't the greatest. Doesn't matter, though, the point is that what used to be Cingular is now AT&T, thus the outcome is still the same: AT&T got larger, another carrier disappeared, and the field of choice and competition got smaller. Some other entity might end up buying T-Mobile (Sprint, probably), but with a $4 billion infusion of cash from AT&T as part of the terms of the deal falling through, that probably won't happen for some time yet.

Member #
    Liked
    275 times
    Biased FCC ruined this great deal and so now we all will suffer. I'm still hoping for the AT&T and TMOUSA "non-merger but really is still a merger but just a way around the silly paid off greedy politicians and government officials" partnership back-up plan.
    ManDroid and cogeary like this.

Done with this.

Member #
    Twitter
    red_foxx15
    Liked
    13 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MJPollard View Post
    but with a $4 billion infusion of cash from AT&T as part of the terms of the deal falling through, that probably won't happen for some time yet.
    The 4 million didn't go to T-Mobile usa it went to their parent Company and they are not required to reinvest it into T-Mobile so they most likely will use ut to pay off some of that large debt they have. As for the aws spectrum they picked up, that's only going to tempt another company even more. The only thing I really saw that looked like it could help T-Mobile last a little longer is the roaming agreement they got and im not convinced they wouldn't use that agreement as a selling point too. Like they have said many times this year they want to get rid of this company and I think these things have only sweetened what they have to offer

Sent from my ATRIX

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads