Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Help on deciding on a new phone

This is a discussion on Help on deciding on a new phone within the AT&T (US) forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Carriers category; Hey guys, I dont post here often, but you all have given me great help with all that you have posted about rooting my atrix ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Help on deciding on a new phone

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Help on deciding on a new phone

Hey guys,

I dont post here often, but you all have given me great help with all that you have posted about rooting my atrix and all kinds of other tweaks and such. I know this has nothing to do with the atrix, but I am looking to upgrade my phone. I am trying to decide between the Gs3 or the Xperia Ion. I love both phones but am having a hard time trying to decide. Is the Gs3 worth the 100 bucks more than the Ion? Is the Ion worth the 12mp camera it has in it? Any and all advice would be helpful.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Twitter
    golfer_mfr
    Liked
    677 times
    Just fyi....the number of mp a camera has does not say anything about the quality of the image.
    Please adhere to the Atrix Forum's Rules of Conduct

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I know, but I have always had good pics with sony cameras. The Exmor sensor has always put out good quality pics for me.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    The Ion looks nice but it ships with GB I think and has a non-removable battery.

The GS3 is top of the line now, but with the Atrix 3 coming in about a month plus the samsung note2 rumored to be coming around october(with an alleged unbreakable screen and jellybean), might not hurt to wait and see actual specs on those two.

But if you don't wanna wait, I'd say get the gs3 over the ion. More ram, removeable/bigger battery, bluetooth 4.0, ships with ics, and gorilla glass 2.
    Last edited by ToJen1981; 06-20-2012 at 01:55 PM.
    UltraDroid likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I wish I could wait, my atrix is starting to fade out and I dont see it lasting too much longer without a full reset and I dont want to go through that. With a new phone I can transfer my stuff over and then make the atrix my backup. Yeah, I am leaning toward the Gs3 the more I read about it, mainly for battery life. I like the Ion a lot, but a removable battery is always a huge plus in my book. With the fact of the 2 gigs of ram, it should move quite a bit faster. I might wait till next month, unless someone knows the specs of the atrix 3.

BUC
    Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    I definitely feel your pain, because right now my Atrix's digitizer kind of broke, leaving me with a vertical area that is non responsive to touch.

Anyway, between the two phones posted on the original post, I would say IMO that the GS3 is the better phone...

Pros over the Ion:

SDXC card slot
    Up to 64 GB of internal memory VS 32 GB on Ion
    Removable Battery
    Bigger screen, Lighter and Thinner (though bigger footprint)
    Better GPU
    Barometer for faster and more precise GPS
    Better front facing camera?.

Now Pros of the Ion over the GS3:

Processor is more efficient on power management (also, not to many apps optimized for quad core yet)
    I'm not fan of MHL port at all. I think its better to just use a micro HDMI port separate from the micro USB

my $0.02

On the same vibe... I am holding on to my crippled Atrix to see if I can repair, and then sell it and at the same time waiting what the future Nexuses are about...

To tell you the truth, I got a bit dissapointed with the "Atrix 3" design, and with all the issues I faced with mine, I have to think hard before jumping on a new, rushed device....

I am really liking the Asus PadFone, but it is priced too high, and it have mid-range screen, and it only have European bands... I need at least an additional 3G band in the 1900 MHz.

If Asus can make a second iteration soon enough (2012-early2013, call it the PadFone Nexus?), with 720p screen, with the same (or similar dimensions) to make it compatible with the accessories of the original, and add American network bands, I definitely jump in.

I have been reading the issues with the PadFone and they sound very similar to what people said about the original Atrix... great concept, and mix feelings on the execution (with lapdock and all)

But those are too many "if"
    Last edited by BUC; 06-20-2012 at 03:49 PM.
    das8nt and Condor97 like this.
    Motorola Atrix 4G
    Android

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Twitter
    golfer_mfr
    Liked
    677 times
    Have you thought about the Google Nexus? If you are still under contract and need a phone but aren't eligible for phone discount, you can buy the Google phone outright at much less than other phones.
    Condor97 likes this.
    Please adhere to the Atrix Forum's Rules of Conduct

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2018 times
    The Galaxy Nexus is a super phone, and you can own it outright for around $400 + tax from Google.
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock

GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.0.1 Rom

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Twitter
    @nakdea
    Liked
    765 times
    If you're trying to decide between those specific phones, i'd go with the GS3 because i hear it is supposed be an amazing phone.

recently i bought a GS2 and I think that is an awesome phone as well. So nice..

^ nexus 5 .
    galaxy s 3 . optimus g . nexus 4 . atrix

fin.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    thanks for all of your comments guys!! I went with the Gs3. I will have it in a few days.
    nalomo likes this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads