Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Studying Abroad in Sydney

This is a discussion on Studying Abroad in Sydney within the Telstra (Australia) forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Carriers category; I will be studying abroad in Sydney for two months and was wondering about Australian carriers. I am looking to get a pre-paid plan that ...

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Studying Abroad in Sydney

I will be studying abroad in Sydney for two months and was wondering about Australian carriers. I am looking to get a pre-paid plan that includes data. I was wondering if any of you had any opinions about the different carriers there and who is better. I want to bring my carrier unlocked Atrix so I can stay connected to my family back home. Internet is my main goal seeing as where I will be staying charges $5 for an hour of internet. Do you know of any pre-paid plans that are good?

- Clueless Traveler

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Well heres a quick run down (as non biased as I can be)
    Telstra (bigpond) are au's largest and have the largest fastest network and probably the worst customer service (though getting a bit better recently). They also have the best coverage. Pre-Paid Offers - Telstra dig around and look at the text and data prepaid. (they are also probably the most expensive).

Optus are the 2nd largest but can be slower and while ok around town their mobile coverage is limited in many areas.

Vodaphone oversubscribed to the point they broke their network and lost plenty of customers, but have been doing upgrades and may be tollerable now.

I would start with a telstra prepaid and ask people in the area your staying their experiance, as our mobile service is shared and performance is directly related. Often in peak hours many carriers slow to a halt.

After that its up to you to choose. I know of a few people quite happy with vodaphones cut price service because they only want the internet in the day when it works ok.

and a quick FYI almost all australian 3g devices fall back to the old digital network (GSM) at times. The average speed for the digital network is a painfully slow 3kbs.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I would go with www.AMYSIM.com.au for this short period, you don't even need a data plan, any data you use come off your recharge, really great, very cheap rates and no contract.
    have one mobile with Amysim and the other with Telstra.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks!

Remove Ads

Ads